Logo

prop

struluet

I have a prop with an 476 stamp on it and took it off and its an michigan 19xxp stamp on it on the cone side of the prop and 456 I have an QA120B bayliner last year it would only go about 25mph @4400 rpms and wouldnt plan it plowed do I have the right prop for this boat need to get a new prop any way but need to know the numbers on the old prop stand for and what the right prop is bast for it.

Last edited:
Those low power Volvos need VOLVO props.Michigan make a great wheel but Volvos run best with a Volvo prop.It probably will perform better with OEM.
I was asked to look at a friends boat:said it wouldn't get out of its own way.I did all the usual and coudn't find anything.A real head scratcher.
As I was leaving I looked at the drive and saw a brand new wheel. I asked when it was changed.That morning.I asked where was the old wheel and they brought out a Volvo prop.I looked at the new and it was a Michigan.I said there was the problem/ The owner said I was full of poop and didn't know what I was talking about. I bet him $100 that was the problem.He said I don't want your money.I'm gonna buy a lot of beer with his.I bought 7-8 cases of Bud with my winnings.His boat ran great with the Volvo prop.J

solas makes an excellant prop for volvo for about $97.00 delivered, i got one just a couple weeks ago off iboats and am very impressed with it, i gained an extra 1100 rpm with the different prop, very smooth and planes with almost no effort on a 19ft 2300 lb. cuddy about 30mph wot.i would gaurentee that a 19 pitch is to much for your boat, i also had a 19 pitch prop and went to a 15x15, i was only getting about 4000 rpm wot http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/

An extra 1100 RPM is quite a bit of a gain. Your original prop must had either a bent blade or be overpropped by about 4-5 inches, or it had larger diameter than your current prop.

it was chopped up pretty bad, theres to many oyster beds here in fl where i'm at, so a prop does'nt last to long. it was a michigan prop and the only markings on it were pr242.someone on here told me it was a 15x19? i was suprised with such a power gain myself, i expected to get somewhere around 4600-4800 rpm wot, but its at 5100 wot now and with the manual calling for wot at 5500 rpm i'm assuming i'm ok and have'nt gone to small on it? i pull inflatables and kneeboards etc. with the boat so i need the quick plane.

Well, I always said that the best prop is the one that works the way you expect it to work (or better). Is your new one also a 15x19 or did you go down to 14x19?

i went to a 15x15, i'm glad it worked out good because we don't have the ability of trying any different ones where i'm at the closest prop shop is about a 2 hour drive. the prop actually threw me off when i got it, i thought they sent me the wrong one cause its set up like a thru exhaust system, but there is a plate in it sealing off the back side, i'm assuming so they can use this prop for either application with or without the use of the back plate?

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\2010_06041-3-09

Eastcoast,What motor is in your boat? The 120 in this boat needs all the help it can get.
Look on line and find a Volvo prop.You will find it work better,J

Back