Logo

Prop Thrust Washer

Waverider17

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1989 Mercury 60hp 2 stroke and I stupidly removed the prop without paying attention to the orientation of the thrust washer. It's the domed type and although I've removed the prop a few times before I can't for the life of me remember if the domes side or flat side points towards the gearcase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not sure about your Merc but my 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha the dome is towards the gear case.
I tried looking yours up but instead of using the year for a Mercury I’d have to have the serial number.
Slide it on flat side facing the gear case and see if it looks like it would be spinning against anything then try it the other way and look at if it’s against anything as well.
This may or may not be obvious but it’s all I can think of right now.
Im no technician.
Some times I say all I know when I say hello.

The serial number is OB240262 but I can't find any clear diagrams. I have however looked on eBay for lower units and seen one with the prop removed and it appears that the dome points towards the gearcase as you say. What would be the consequence of installing the thrust washer the wrong way?

The serial number is OB240262 but I can't find any clear diagrams. I have however looked on eBay for lower units and seen one with the prop removed and it appears that the dome points towards the gearcase as you say. What would be the consequence of installing the thrust washer the wrong way?
If you install it back wards you would probably be putting a lot of pressure on the hub (center piece) of the prop for one thing.
I’m not where I can look it up right now. I’m sending you a pm.

Back