Logo

PROP STUCK

crankshaft

Contributing Member
I have this Mercury 70 hp 1982 that has a frozen on prop. In the Seloc manual it stated that the only way to get it off is to torch the prop so the rubber hub inside burns off. Had this done at a shop but took the lower unit home after paying $130. Any ideas to get it off. Tried pullers before and now soaking lower unit in a mixture of trans fluid and acetone. It did come off about a 1/3 of the way with the heat.

I was watching that yesterday on Youtube and they were carefully cutting with a dremel along the stuck sleeve.

I agree with grinding it off. The prop shaft is tempered stainless steel. The props spline is brass/bronze.....way softer than the prop shaft. So you want to be careful but don't have to hold your breath while grinding. Cut a slit down the length of the prop and insert a flat blade screwdriver in the cut and twist, adding more penetrant as you work it off. Might cut in 2 places and prise off (add a hammer to the screwdriver and tap it off) the narrower part and then work the rest off. I don't like heating as you have prop shaft seals right there made of rubber.

Before you install your new prop clean up the prop shaft splines and lube with a good waterproof marine grease. Then the next time you want to remove your prop it will slide right off.

Back