Logo

Prop Choice / Mercruiser 170 / 86 Century Palomino / 20'_Approx 3000 loaded

This is a new boat for me not in the water yet...........somehow I feel that the prop on the vessel should be about a 20-21 pitch from the on-line programs I have found??

Is there anyone that could tell me what kind of change I might see by installing the SS prop below that was give to me by a friend......or anyone maybe interested in a trade for a 3 blade SS..................

I understand that 1" in diameter is equal to approx. 1 1/2" in pitch?


Quicksilver propeller on vessel 48 78118-17 (14 ½) Aluminum 3 blade

Mercury High Five 48-815718-19 (13 ¼”) Stainless 5 blade

Thank you
Best Regards
 
This is a new boat for me not in the water yet........

Ayuh,.... Until ya splash it, 'n get some numbers, there's No answers,....

If it runs with a 17" pitch, No way it'll pull a 21" to full Wot rpms,....
 
Ayuh,.... Until ya splash it, 'n get some numbers, there's No answers,....

If it runs with a 17" pitch, No way it'll pull a 21" to full Wot rpms,....

Bondo nailed it - gotta run it with a "normal" load (people, fuel at least 1/2 tank), wide open throttle, trimmed out for max speed without letting the prop ventilate. If you are in the max RPM range (forget exactly what the 470 is - 38-4200?) it's the right prop regardless of pitch, diameter, material.
Try for the top end of the RPM range for best all-around performance.
 
Back
Top