Logo

Problems with rebuilt 7.4 running poorly and valve taps HELP!! (from the archives)

lennyd

Contributing Member
Hello everyone.

I wanted to update an old thread and found there was some changes while I was away from the site, and I thought I would start a new thread.

Link to the original http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?12486/84984

First thanks again to everyone for their time and suggestions!

I have finally managed to figure out what the cause of the problems was, and it is beyond interesting.

One thing is for certain, and that is the value of having someone who knows what the frig they are doing and is willing to do the right thing and support their customers when doing an engine swap. Believe me I know how hard it is to find this type of person or place as I seemed to have found nothing but with this one.

After all the years and dollars that have passed with what was discussed in the original thread I finally decided to work with a local mobile service tech who is friends of friends, and nearly related (hope all that helps lol) and pull the damn engine again, and bring this rebuild with 2 hours max to be gone through and basically rebuilt again.

Upon tear down and inspection the rebuilder found that this engine had all kinds of problems that were most likely if not specifically due to Hesco not properly setting up the engine in the first place. Most notably is that all eight pistons had marks from when the exhaust valves were hitting them.

So low and behold if the original mechanic/boat yard who did the install would have not forced me to take this engine that was not right, and worked with me (heck he should have after soaking me for an additional $1900 over his original estimate) it would have gone back to Hesco while it was still under warranty and even before their local dealer went belly up and they refused to fully honor the warranty (basically alerting me to sue them).

Anyhow it seems that the valve-train being out of time was what was behind the power loss and rev up problem, and then also had allowed sea water to revert back into the engine basically washing all the internals and rusting them up pretty good over the last 2 years as well.

I am not sure if this or just running it for the two hours that way caused the push rods to bend, but I know that the seawater was what lead to the corrosion on them, and also on the rockers, cam, cam bearings (also out of line) and valve stems.

Sure wish I had removed the heads back in 07, but after finding the valve adjustment was so far out, and seeing how perfect everything looked from the bottom when changing out the leaking oil pan gasket (that one was installed by the yard so shame on them for what looked like an entire tube of silicone used on the pan), just would have saved a couple years if it was checked out in 07.

The engine is due back soon, and I hope everything goes smooth from here (doubtful though as the rebuilder seems to have found a way to misquote his estimate by $600) or at least that it runs like it should.

At least the damage to the pistons was superficial and did not do any real damage so they were reusable, but still it was needing a re-hone, all new main and rod bearings (due to the corrosion from sea water etc) resurfacing, new rings, push rods, lifters, guides and seals, valve job, about half of the rockers (due to corrosion) a new cam (more corrosion, and cheap insurance), cam bearings, re ring the flywheel, mill the balancer (lots of rust), and a good amount of hardware.

Does $1500, or the new $2100 sound right for this??

I mean the higher "new" number is only $1000 less than I paid for the original rebuild without a core. Just been a while since I had a big block rebuilt so I have no good info to judge by etc.

I will update once it gets installed etc, but just for fun I found a pic of the original engine that was delivered to me by the boat yard in 05 (the one they screwed me out of 2000 to install and screw up, oh yea and to sink my boat at their dock apparently) after it was pulled to be gone over in 07 after all attempts at getting help through the manufacturer through warranty were exhausted.

Here are a couple pics, notice all the nice rust on my new engine (way to go Whitey!! thanks for taking such good care of her) and I will not even get into all the other crap on the boat that had to be fixed due to the combination of such nice handling by the yard and cutting corners by Sea Ray. This was the condition it was in when originally received from the yard when still a new rebuild etc, and strangely it did not look anything like these after it was removed this year for the current rebuilding and it was in for two years longer. I mean do we have to do everything ourselves????

dcp2348.jpg
dcp2348.jpg
dcp2354.jpg

And check out the professional custom mod to the bell housing by the yard
dcp2363.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Problems with rebuilt 7.4 running poorly and valve taps HELP!! (from the archives

Wow! What a screw job.

Re: Problems with rebuilt 7.4 running poorly and valve taps HELP!! (from the archives

I hear you on that!!

And yes it has been one hell of an experience, but even with all the bad there has been some good as I have learned a whole lot more about the local industry, absolutely everything that could go wrong with the process, and just about every little nook and cranny of my boat than I ever could have wanted to :)

Currently I am waiting on my "good witch" mechanic to get ready to dress up the newly rebuilt engine and get it installed. It was supposed to happen two weeks ago so I am expecting maybe sometime next week LMAO, but after all that has happened previously a couple weeks is nooooo problem at all.

Another thought or question.

The guy who did the machine work was not 100% on where the water got into the system that caused all the corrosion, and I am curious what you all think on this.

I know it could have been the oil/PS cooler, and also a result of the damage to the valves due to the contact with the pistons, and that could have allowed cooling water being discharged through the exhaust to be sucked back into the cylinders, but I also think there could have been other causes, and really want to be sure it is not going to happen again.

Have an update for those of you following this.

Been crazy busy trying to get this thing back to "normal" and running right before I lose another season, and oh yea my mind as well. :)

After countless delays (machine shop and mechanic doing install) the motor finally found its way into the boat, and also into the water, but not without a final unexpected problem. :(

The thing was vibrating like crazy, and not like the new gimbal bearing or nearly new u-joints were bad, but more like well a 28 foot vibrator :D

Since the mechanic was backed up pretty bad it ended up in the water anyhow, and it did seem to change as the rpms increased when driving it back from the launch ramp.

I found a trailer I could borrow and pulled her out to check if the problem may be with the drive, and it was still doing it with the drive removed as well.

Do any of you guys have some suggestions on what it may be?

The engine seems to run ok, and there is not any backfiring or big dead spots like in the old set up before the new rebuild/freshen up etc.

What does the good witch motor re-builder say?

"What does the good witch motor re-builder say? "

I guess I should not have just started sipping some iced tea before reading that cause you had me lmfao, but this has been going on for so long, and with so many players I am not sure if anyone is who I thought they were in the beginning.

Good thing you did not say "good fairy" as I am sure I would have shorted out the damn keyboard :)

Anyhow we discussed the process he went through, that the engine is externally balanced, that it did have a true 454 crank (not the 427 that some feared may have been used by the previous shop in error) to confirm that it was not being caused by a miss or screw up in the firing order, the need to have the flywheel in the correct position, and that he wanted the installer to drive it so that he could compare our interpretations of what was happening etc.

Since this one is externally balanced and the shop did not install the flywheel or coupler the thought that the cause would most likely be outside of the work he had one may not be a poor one, and he seems that he will stand behind his work (I know that all can change when it comes to $$)

So we are waiting for the installer/mechanic to take her out, and see what he thinks etc. Hope for that to happen next week.

Until then I will be attempting to deal with all the other little items that need attention, and do what I can to hit all the other related parts replacing that the mechanic had suggested may be part of the cause (motor mounts etc) even though I understand these items would only potentially absorb more vibes if they had dried or hardened up etc.

Back