Logo

Primer bulb soft?????

whiskerbender

I bought a new mueler bulb not eve 2 months ago. it never seemed to pump up as hard as the cheaper ones, but have never had a problem until today. Is there anything else I should look for besides just replacing the bulb. No leaks in fuel sytem.

It is important that you hold the bulb vertical with the outlet upwards. Then it should be hard when under pressure. Please buy quality, buy original Johnson/Evinrude bulb, I have experience with many kind of bulbs, but all except the originals will not work properly, become hard in short time (hardenend out) or start leaking.

The bulb that I bought came recommended from 2 different mechanics and was about $25. There is no gas leaks and hasn't harden out. I'm suspecting carbs but am going trough the system to check for air leaks before diving back into them as they were just gone through last year. Any suggestions on where to start and what to look for?

Thanks for the suggestions!! Lots of help!!! @ racerone, the problem(yesterday) was after i was anchored up for about 2 hrs (sleighing the crappie) I could'nt get a good prime or start the engine. Once started it runs/idles excellent though. If there was a problem with the pump or carbs, wouldn't it happen under power as well?

OK what motor do you have here.----------And what are your starting procedures on the motor, first start of the day and after it has sat for 2 hrs ??

I have a 93 Evinrude 115. I prime the bulb(has never gotten real hard)turn key on. push prime/choke switch in and turn key. Some times may have to re-prime bulb to get to crank. Sometimes it coughs/farts a few times before starting but as stated, once running it runs like a top. After sitting for a couple of hrs. I pretty much have to repeat the same steps. My first restart attempt I don't push in the primer/choke switch but usually end up having to.I just came in from changing out the bulb. Seems to be a little firmer but am waiting for battery to recharge as I pretty much killed it yesterday. I did however find a leaks that i missed yesterday at the filter and the pump. Tightened clamps and no more leaks.

These motors have a history ! My suggestion is to do a compression test first.-----------The starter motor must not be " punished " by excessive cranking and they are easily damaged.----Bonus , that starter is easy to trouble shoot and repair.I install new brushes in these all the time ( cost me $5.00) and well worth doing.---------Slow cranking means that you will not have proper spark for start up.---------I have about 10 motors just like yours apart for rebuilding at the moment so I am very familiar with them !---Has the VRO pump ( if equipped with it still ) been apart for inspection ???

Last edited:
The vro pump has been removed!(by-mechanic) Back to pre-mix! Don't remember the #'s but compression checked out fine by my mechanic. I don't hold the starter in to crank for long. Maybe it's the pick up in the tank? I hope not!!! What a freakin nightmare!!!

Back