Logo

Power Steering Question

snowhound9

New member
"I have a 2007 5.7 OSi-GF. Th

"I have a 2007 5.7 OSi-GF. The power steering has worked fine through 100 hours. Ran the boat yesterday, and steering is very "hard", almost like the power steering isn't working. I also no longer hear the "hiss" of the power steering pump. The appears to be plenty of fluid in the reservoir. The "only" things that have changed since the last run (where it worked perfectly) was that the fuel cell was changed (both fuel pumps + fuel filter assembly), and the oil was changed. Also, if I look in the reservoir after running, the fluid is frothy - there is a lot of air in it. Is there anything I can do, or is this another warranty issue?

Also - stupid question for a new Volvo I/O owner - should the exhaust be exhausted through the center of the props when the boat is sitting in neutral at idle, or at the top of the head?

Thanks,

Mark"
 
what out drive do you have???

what out drive do you have???

Also when everything was changed out was the power steering pump removed if so you will need to bleed it and get all of the air out of the system..
 
"Kirby, if the engine is under

"Kirby, if the engine is under warranty, I suggest you should bring your concerns to the VP dealer before doing any work on your own."
 
"Hey Mark, Like EL states and

"Hey Mark, Like EL states and the answer i gave ya with the fuel pumps......... it does sound like that pump shaft may have sheared, its common with serp belt power steering pumps, especially if the wheel was turned to a stop and someone had pressure on it when the engine was started, go back to the dealer, thats a covered component."
 
"Gentlemen -

Again, thanks


"Gentlemen -

Again, thanks for the advice. I figured would follow up with the repair. The power steering ram was bad. The Volvo repair shop indicated that they had seen this problem with units 2-3 years ago, but nothing recently. Unfortunately, they had to haul the boat to fix it.

Mark"
 
"how do i top up the fluid on

"how do i top up the fluid on the leg, i have just bought a 1980 cruiser with a volvo penta 280 and the leg wont tilt up."
 
Back
Top