Logo

Power Steering Install PRE 1980

kainon

Advanced Contributor
"So I have a 1974-1976 Merc an

"So I have a 1974-1976 Merc and I want to ADD power Steering setup, the pump and cooler I can handle.. but I'm not sure what I need at the transom plate, any one have a picture of that year range ? other than the not so good parts pics.

thanks
brian"

"Here are some pics from a ser

"Here are some pics from a service manual.....best I can do from here.

289884.jpg

289885.jpg

289886.jpg

289887.jpg
"

"You probablyu should check wi

"You probablyu should check with Merc tech service or a good dealer to search parts/kits.
If my memory is still intact (unlikely) they did not offer power steering until '76 or '77 so it may require replacing the inner transom plate, if it's possible at all."

Not difficult to make a adapte

Not difficult to make a adapter plate and "make it work"

I think Brian is a very resourcefull guy............LOL

He must be if he is succesfully running a 165!

"I think I am a resourceful pe

"I think I am a resourceful person

and if you want to read about my woes.. can read some here.. only blog type thing i've ever done or ever will do.. did it' to maybe help someone else, at least make them feel a little better

http://www.kainonmedia.com

ps.. though i dont have the money to get a set of lump heads or drop in a GM 4200 (new 270hp Alum Inline 6) from the Blazers and such.. I still have my hopes up.

Hopefully it will see water this year, tough to refurb a boat on extremely limited funds..

just found a Moeller plastic fuel tank (discontinued) NEW from Great Lakes Skipper (buyers of stuff we need), for $160 + $100 for shipping that will be perfect for dropping into my bilge.

So I want to get PS cause with a 13" wheel my boat can be real hard (and I ain't weak) to come out of a turn at 25+. but I dont really want to change to an Alpha housing cuz they are $$$.

Part of the transom plate peices bolt on, I saw an old I6 with the shift interupt and shift cables directly mounted on the plate not even on a bracket on the plate..

thanks !!!"

I found a couple parts I need.

I found a couple parts I need.. new even.. $300 for the cylinder and $100 for the mount.

Need to find a 78-84ish boat that's being parted..

Back