Logo

Power pack check

Thomas1410

Hello everyone have a 1986 30hp evinrude, giving me some trouble starting, compression 120 both cold and warm. New starter, have not checked timing. Have checked spark and it is fine. Rebuilt carb and have replaced carb to see if it was issue, all new fuel lines in motor and primer solenoid. Long story short is motor will crank up fine somedays and others will just turn over like it isn’t getting spark, will plug spark plug and give a check and it will show spark. Have changed spark plugs with champions. One of the spark plugs has a heater coil I’m guessing from a plug blowing out of threads. Have not checked stator. Also if this helps when it does run if I adjust the carb to where it idles it bogs with throttle, if I lean it out doesn’t want to idle. Can’t find a happy medium in neither of the rebuilt carbs. Don’t know how many more fishing trips before I throw it off the back when it doesn’t start lol. How can I check the power pack and the stator? I know it can’t be fuel related at this point. Also anyone know where I might find the plate that holds the plastic bolt I guess you would call it that pressed against choke it seems to be bending out and every so often have to tap it back in.

Well-----I am going to be blunt as usual.-----" fine spark " means nothing.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" with a snap you can hear, yes or no ?-----Are you pushing key in WHILE cranking it over ?------A helicoil is used to repair sparkplug threads.------Is the long rod for carburetor linkages adjusted correctly ?-----What do you mean with " plastic bolt " for the choke ?

Back