Logo

Plugs for 1997 Mariner 40HP

E

Ed Dorsch

" I am trying to change the pl

" I am trying to change the plugs for the first time in my 1997 Mariner 40hp 4 cylinder.

The Champion book calls for QL 86C plugs, which have tips, but specifies no gap numbers.

Champion makes a "-1" of that plug, but that plug is tipless and shows as an L 78V or a QL 78V.

Will all of these plugs work in my motor? Is it possible to mix and match them? I've been to 5 dealers and can only find 4 of the QL 78V tipless plugs.

Thanks "

" Ed, try asking these questio

" Ed, try asking these questions at a good auto parts store. NAPA is my first choice. They have much info on plugs. Champion may have changed the part #. Also plugs will probably be less expensive than a dealer. As far as mix and match, get one type of plug and stick with it, that is do not mix part #s or even brands. Good luck, Kim "

" Ed,

The champion book tha

" Ed,

The champion book that I have calls for L78V, (or QL78V for RFI suppression), for your engine. I would advise you to stick with either of these plugs.

Tony "

if thats the magnum 40 it&#39

if thats the magnum 40 it's like one of mine and that uses the plugs without tips on them...i've never seen others listed for it but i think mine 40 is a 1995.. ngk's are what i've run in that never fouled one yet!

" I couldn't agree more wi

" I couldn't agree more with Dave here. NGK plugs are the best you can buy. They can be had for a reasonable price, but frequently you will pay a premium price for them in marine stores.

Tony "

Back