Logo

Please verify - Bravo question

baytro23

Regular Contributor
I have a 2003 Bravo 1, I believe I could unbolt it and bolt a Bravo 3 in it's place??? 2nd question: I'm running a 3 blade 15 1/2 x 15 pitch now, would both Bravo 3 props be 15" pitch?

The upper gear cace for Bravo I II III are all the same according to service manual 11, only the lower gear case is different

The answer to your second question I do not have an answer, NO experience with duo props.........

Thank you

I thought I read somewhere that they would bolt on. I've got a heavy single powered boat that might benefit from a BIII drive.

I don't have all the spec's but take care about gear ratios versus availabe props.

With the Bravo-3 you'll most likely be limited to Merc's props. There is only one diameter and a limited number of pitchs. I don't recall there being one that shallow. You will want to compensate by choosing the correct gear ratio.

Bruce Clarkson

If you have a heavy boat that may seem/be underpowered, You may want to conside the bravo II

That model uses a much larger prop and works very very good with large boats.

Example: We repowered a 24 ft cuddy, 305 cubic inch alpha 1 , to a 350 mag with a bravo II, boat shot out of the water and cruised like there was litteraly no water under it..The size of the prop really grabs water and moves it.........

Just my opinion.

Beswt call the boat manufaturer and see what they reccomend.

I recently bought the boat in question-1981 28' Master Marine cc w/2002 320hp 6.2mpi and Bravo 1 - approx. 7000lbs. These boats came from the factory rigged with a single outboard. These are rare but of the ones I've seen recently, most have a single 250hp outboard. One has twins on a added bracket.

Couple of points: Back in 2002 when the previous owner repowered, he didn't like the choices in avail. outboards. I would think a 250hp carb'd outboard would be lucky to get 1mpg on this boat. He took it to a Mercruiser dealer and I'm sure spent a fortune modifying the transome and having the 6.2/Bravo installed. The boat does not feel underpowered, I was amazed at how quickly and easily it planed out. The basis for my Bravo III question was to maximize economy and maybe gain a mph or 3 at cruise. There is no flow meter but using old school methods seems to get about 2mpg. Cruise is 23-25mph but will do that thru just about anything. These boats were designed for the winter waters off the northeast coast for bluefin tuna fishing. They have a 62 deg. entry V and 24 deg. deadrise at the transome and have a narrow 8' beam. The prop is, I believe, a Michigan Wheel 15.25x15 pitchx3 aluminum. I might just need to do some testing with rpm's and speed and figure out prop slip and see if a SS 4 blade might be in order.?????

Last edited:
In my opinion,

The bravo II uses a much bigger diameter prop, thus has more thrust (if you will) and I also believe that your mileage and speed would be improved with this set up.

Back in the day of 1981 when this boat was biult, they would have used the TRS outdrive wich is the predissesor to the Bravo drive. The TRS is a very large outdrive and wieghs a ton!! BUt it would move a large boat due to prop size.........

Either way you decide to go do some more research and look closely at the bravo II,

7000 lbs and only 320 hp, = bad mpg's and slow speeds.......A boat that size and wieght really should have twin 320 hp, inboards............actually diesel inboards would be best!!

Back