Logo

Please help

mikemacy

"CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? I

"CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? I have a 1990 evinrude 150. The boat keeps going from running great to running horrible. sometimes i'll get 4000 + rpms right out of the hole other times i'm lucky to get 2000 rpms. i've rebuilt carbs, checked fuel lines, disconnected oil pump for vro replaced plugs and replaced fuel filter, water seperator and some fuel lines. someone please help."

"I think You should start with

"I think You should start with an ignition/spark plug check. Does if fire on all cylinders? Use a timing light and check each cylinder.
If it does a cleaning of the fuel system may be needed (carbs and fuel lines). There might be some small piece mooving around blocking the fuel in jets or fuel lines.
Also check the gasket to the silenser/air cover. if that is leaking it may be a proble, The carbs does not have an acc pump and depends on a 'vacum' in the box to work."

i've cleaned and rebuilt a

i've cleaned and rebuilt all carbs already. when i did that i had to replace the silencer cover gasket. it runs great out of water but in the water is a different story. it will kick in and out while running. by this I mean that i will be running at 5000 rpms and then all of the sudden bang it drops to 3000 rpms and i'll start losing rpms slowly.

"In and out of water is two di

"In and out of water is two different things. To me it looks like it starts loosing one cylinder (ignition or fuel) and then keeps on until it dies. The plug color after such an event ought to tell if it is lack of fuel or ignition drop out. Next tiime, shut the engine down and pull the plugs. It may even be a spark jump from the plugs to the rear latch locks cutting one cylinder. Make sure the ignition cables are properly clamped and stays away from the latches."

"the boat won't die it wil

"the boat won't die it will just keep running at 2000 -2500 rpms.i'll try it out. it seems weird, it'll run horribly to a fishing spot, but if i keep the boat motor down the boat screams when i take off. thanks morten"

Back