Logo

please help, 2.3 omc points/contact

cds11

Contributing Member
i have a 1987 bayliner sport 17ft with the 2.3 omc engine. the points burnt up on it a few weeks ago and i havnt been able to get the right ones for it. the tune up kit that it calls for is 18-5251 but its not the right points set. the little tab that contacts the cam on the distributor shaft is smaller than the original points set. it has the ys mallory distributor. so far i have bought two tune up kits off ebay and niether has been right. any help would be appreciated.

What makes you to believe the one that burnt up was the right one ? With points the only time to leave the ignition key in the run position is when the engine is running.

there is a electronic conversion kit for that dist. or I have found aftermarket billet distributors that work better than the points dist. that you have

0173619 IGNITION TUNE-UP KIT
is the original equipment OMC kit, available at any Evinrude dealer - including marineengine.com

thanks for the help guys, i went to a marina and they had the right points set that i needed and it is back up and running. wklaks, i plan on converting it to electronic but i just wanted to get through the rest of the year with points. hystat, marineengine shows that part number 18-5251 replaces part number 0173619, i got one of each off ebay and they were both the same.

Back