Logo

Piston Head Dirtier than others

roederll

Regular Contributor
"I took out the spark plugs th

"I took out the spark plugs this weekend and rotated the flywheel and noticed that the bottom cylinder was a lot or had more carbon splotches more than anything or any other cylinder. The Top and Middle cylinder had a uniform layer of it on the head on i figured it was fine, but the other was definitely dirtier than the other. Any reasons or causes that would make this happen."

If it is any relevance. At fu

If it is any relevance. At full throttle it seems to "sputter" a litle. But when you adjust it back it doesn't do. Could it be a power pack or coil not letting it fire. When it sputters it doesn't seem to loose power or anything either.

"only gussing but that may be

"only gussing but that may be a 70 hp with triple carbs? sounds like tune up time.comperssion test.
carb rebuild,the carbon you say is caused from
a rich condition/the sputtering can be caused from flooding or poor timing advance.
get some new plugs /gap them correctly.
repost with more info or pictures of plugs also need model # /hp year"

"It is a 70 hp motor and its a

"It is a 70 hp motor and its a 1982. At the beginning of the summer me and my brother-in-law rebuilt the carbs and all that fun stuff. I can't imagine that it would be that. I do remember that when i checked the bottom plug that it was cross treaded into the treads, but no damage happened to the treads on the helicoils i beleive is what they are called or the inserts. It threaded back with no problems, this was when i rebuilt carbs at the beggining of the summer. Could it have happened there? Maybe?"

"having a heli coil should not

"having a heli coil should not cause that issue.
if carbs were done proprely.make sure timer base is advanceing all the way.
do a compression test.that will give us all the over all condition of your engine.and may resolve an issue,good news or not,"

"The model number is J7OELCNB.

"The model number is J7OELCNB. I haven't been able to do much, i just started back at school, so i am limited to weekends as to when i can look at the boat."

"Well I was going to do a comp

"Well I was going to do a compression test on saturday, but Tropical Storm Hanna ruined those plans, will try sunday. Hopefully."

"i do NOT believe,in helicoils

"i do NOT believe,in helicoils,for spark plug holes,..i do,however like inserts...helicoils,are nothing but a quick fix today,...more trbls down the road...
machine shop to repair item,professionally,or replace part..."

Back