Logo

Pin in Upper End of Drive Shaft 1961 55Hp Johnson

optsyeagle

Regular Contributor
"The driveshaft on this motor

"The driveshaft on this motor has a small pin going through it, in the upper end of it. This pin is about 3/4" long and probably less than a millimeter in diamter.

About 1/3rd of mine has been sheared off and I was wondering, what does this pin do? and how would I go about getting another one. I cannot find the part number for this little pin. Any help is appreciated."
 
It is a drive pin for the mech

It is a drive pin for the mechanical seal assembly below the powerhead.So at what stage of repair / assembly are you?? Do you have the rest of the pieces for this seal??
 
"I only noticed it when I remo

"I only noticed it when I removed the lower unit and wanted to look at the water pump impeller. The pin needed to be removed to take the pump housing off the drive shaft.

What are the rest of the pieces? I have the spring and a few other pieces that I removed from the top of the drive shaft, when I removed the powerhead. Do those pieces sit on this pin and create a seal?

Any thoughts on how I could get a new one?"
 
"The pin does need to be remov

"The pin does need to be removed as the impeller slides down the shaft.You need to remove the shaft from the lower unit ,it slides out.Check with a dealer or hardware store for a stainless roll pin/ split pin."
 
"The roll pin is generic, get

"The roll pin is generic, get at a hardware store.
Above that should be a brass cup washer, compression spring, shiny silver stepped flat washer, and top off with a cork washer. A dealer should have a parts diagram. It all holds a seal in the bottom of the powerhead. Take the powerhead off, assemble everything else, then reinstall the powerhead. The washers may still be stuck up inside the exhaust housing."
 
"Hmmmmmm. I just replaced my w

"Hmmmmmm. I just replaced my w/p impeller on my 6 hp (1971) it also had that pin in it. I just drove it out slid off cover and replaced impeller and put back together. Are you saying that this cup washer, spring and cork washer should come off with drive shaft. My shaft went back up in OK. You think i'm ok. What does that seal actually do? Many Thanks!"
 
"The seal and all the bits is

"The seal and all the bits is still up there but it is now " not working ". So put the pin in and line it up with the slot that is up there and reassemble.The other way is to remove the power and to inspect the seal bits, likely not a bad idea."
 
Back
Top