Logo

Pertronics No Fit

thostorey

Regular Contributor
"I just attempted to install t

"I just attempted to install the Pertronics ignitor 2842 and found that the magnetic doughnut will not slide down far enough on the distributor shaft to allow the rotor and cap to fit on top.

I think this issue may have been discussed before but I cannot find the thread. Anyone know of any fix? Has the company responded to anyone with the same problem??

Thanks, Tom"

"With mine it was tight, and m

"With mine it was tight, and my darn rotor would not fit down into the magnetic donut either. Broke the donut trying to force it. Had to buy another one and dig throught tons of rotors to get one to fit.

I did not try to contact them regarding my problem, but you might want to try. It seems to me like they are trying to make these things as universal as possible, and sometimes that does not work too well.

My
2_cents.gif
"

"You gotta work it with emery,

"You gotta work it with emery, like EL said, but it WILL FIT!!!! We all have the same issue....think they do that to ensure a "tight" squeeze.
Keep workin it!!!1"

"That's the thread I remem

"That's the thread I remember Eduardo, thanks!!

I thought that the sleeve had bottomed out as it slipped down easily enough and then it seemed to come against a firm stop but, according to the thread, maybe it needs some persuasion or some shaving to go on the other 1/4 inch?

This is what another forum member wrote: " and it too wouldn't slide all the way down on the shaft, so I took the advice from Pertronix and did a little filing on the inside of the top of it with a point file and it slide the rest of the way on!" I'm not too sure just where he was filing? Any suggestions?

Further, the kit contained two base pieces and the magnetic pick-up, also attached to a flat base. The middle piece seems to be some sort of spacer and it is not mentioned in the Petronics Web site installation instructions but is in the enclosed instructions. So I put in in. I hope that was the right thing to do
question.gif
"

"With reference to my question

"With reference to my question about the 'spacer' base piece, the pictures show that the magnetic pick-up sits proud of the dizzy rim with the spacer installed. The rotor is fully seated. Somehow this does not look right to me?? Comments?

url]

url]
"

"An update; paring down the in

"An update; paring down the inside of the magnetic sleeve worked. The spacer that came with the kit is not required in my setup. However, the Pertronics kit works no better than did the Hot Spark kit, both are good and the timing is stable. Anyone in the mid-Vancouver Island area want to buy a Hot Spark system?
smile.gif
."

Back