Logo

Overheating

jasonf

I have 89model 60hp evenrude t

I have 89model 60hp evenrude that i started in the yard with muffs and a hose there was a good pee hole stream but the buzzers went off and it was constant you could feel the heat from the engine does that mean the water pump is bad it was replaced less than 3 months ago

from the sound of your other t

from the sound of your other thread you either have some kind of blockage in your cooling system or your thermostat is bad.

you should be able to put your hand on the motor with it idling and warmed up for 4-5 secs before it burns you.

is the water coming from the pee hole hot?

"jason, I have the same proble

"jason, I have the same problem with my 89,60horse johnson.new thermo put in,running fullout it will shut down to just above idle then start shacking whenI try to speed up.shut motor off for a few seconds and runs fine..for a while..I'm lost.. mechcaic took it out and ran great,let me know what you find and it might help me..thanks"

"your engine,is overheating,an

"your engine,is overheating,and going into 'SLOW" mode,..kills cyl's,limiting speed,..turning key off,and a cool down,will reset pwr pack...
Now--the first place i would go,is into the water pump,regardless of when it was replaced..a compression ck,and then,new thermo/press relf valve..assm....did the old imperller,blades,come off?..if so,u could have a blockage,in water tube,or in head/block,restricting water flow."

I took boat to shop today and

I took boat to shop today and the machanic told me that my engine did not get hot and if it had it would have burned the paint from the block and he also said that my engine did not have slow mode what do you think do I need to go to another shop

"Jason, the S.L.O.W. is mentio

"Jason, the S.L.O.W. is mentioned in the 89 factory brochure.So why not install a water pressure gauge or a temperature gauge on the motor and run it to see what it does. A compression test is a must and has the factory cooling modification ( per service bulletin ) been done on that engine."

"Jason..... The overheat warni

"Jason..... The overheat warning horn sound off a short time before any engine damage results, hence the terminology "Warning" instead of "Oh S__t!

If the engine got hot enough to burn the paint off of the powerhead, you would have had to let that engine run with that warning sound until the engine got hot enough to seize up solid.

As stated by knowledgeable members above, that engine does absolutely have the S.L.O.W. system installed (Trust Us).

And yes, find another knowledgeable Evinrude/Johnson mechanic. Your present one isn't it!

Install a new complete water pump and thermostat as suggested above for peace of mind if nothing else."

Back