Logo

Overheat and alarm 1989 40HP Evinrude

fontleyroy

Took the boat out today after sitting for a few seasons. After four hours of cruising/fishing/swimming on the way to the ramp I got an alarm that I assume is an overheat. Limped the boat under 2g rpm to ramp. My question is: I have good water flow out of the hose so why would I overhet after that long of a cruise? I dont think thermostat as I was cruising when the alarm went off so the stat was open the whole time. Dont think water pump as I have good flow out the hose, Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance, Andy

compression test cylinders. unless you have xray vision,do not assume thermostat is open fully.place hand on head for 6 sec count,if you cant,problem.Place hand in telltale stream to check temp.Please reply?

Hi, thanks for the reply. The compression is great. I only say the stat was open because i was out all day with no problem until I headed in. Never heard of a stat that decided to close in the middle of cruising at 25. I decided to replace the water pump and stat. (Lower end due for oil change anyway and the pump is how old I dont know!) Ordered today from marineengine expect to get next week. Surprised at price of the stat almost as much as the complete water pump kit! Thanks again, Andy

Thats almost exactly what I told my wife as my ten year old son and I paddled/pushed the boat the last 100 feet to the ramp: She said what now and i said BOAT - bet on another thousand, but break out works as well!

You state......... "I got an alarm that I assume is an overheat."

See below... what alarm did you receive?

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Hi, thanks for he reply. There are no other reporting sensors on this engine. No fuel level, no oil pressure, and no VRO as I disconnected that about five years ago. I installed an old fashioned fuel pump an mix my own gas. As far as I can tell (and the reason for my post) is the only alarm in the shift/tilt/throttle assembly is the over heat alarm. I received the parts today. I will install the stat tomorrow and take for a spin. Alas, the water pump will have to wait for my next weekend! Thanx again, Andy

Hi everyone. Rebuilt the water pump and replaced the stat. The impeller fins were cracked. Took out today and engine ran great. Now if I can figure out why the tilt refuses to work every once in a while (usually at the worst time) ...

Hi, thanks again for the suggestion. I picked a new motor for the pump up from ebay for $60 - well worth the elimination of the frustration. I have recently picked up a 85 Winner with 305 merc. The upper and lower drive units are gone (gimbal housing still there) . Anyone have an old Aplha One gen 1 they want to get rid of?

Took the boat out today after sitting for a few seasons. After four hours of cruising/fishing/swimming on the way to the ramp I got an alarm that I assume is an overheat. Limped the boat under 2g rpm to ramp. My question is: I have good water flow out of the hose so why would I overhet after that long of a cruise? I dont think thermostat as I was cruising when the alarm went off so the stat was open the whole time. Dont think water pump as I have good flow out the hose, Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance, Andy

I overheated my engine also recently. The alarm did not go off. How do I test the alarm to see if it is working? I think when it overheats the temperature sensors in the head ground out to get the alarm to go off.Is this correct and how can I do this to check? Thanks for any help.

Roy.... The overheat thing in the middle of a cruise (or whenever while underway)... Unfortunately a lot of boaters simply throw their plastic bags overboard, and occasionally our engines while underway will hit that plastic trash bag just right with the bow of the lower unit which causes that bag to fold around the lower units water pick up area creating a water shut off valve.

We tilt the engine up for some unknown reason (we always do you know), and as we do, that plastic bag drops off before it reaches the surface, leaving us to think "Uh Oh the impeller blew apart" when in reality, all is well. However, it's best to be sure.
Chrissy.... Simply have the key ON (not running) and ground out the heat sensor wire that's protruding out of the head.

I grounded out the wire from the connector as you suggested. No alarm. Took the alarm buzzer out and checked and it does work. Checked for power to the alarm and there is power. Checked continuity from sensor to alarm and there is no continuity so I guess there is a break in the harness somewhere.Should I just run a separate ground wire from the alarm to the sensor wire? Thanks again for all the help.

If the break doesn't show up (continuity) right where the harness enters the engine, a separate wire would be the easiest way to go.

Thanks for that. I will run a wire in the fall when I pull the boat. I have temp gauges now on each head, so I have to pay more attention to them.

Back