Logo

Outdrive - Trim sloooow going down, just fine coming up 2000 5.0L

bayray

Contributing Member
2000 5.0 with Alpha-1 / Gen-2 outdrive very slow going down, but comes up just fine. Fluid level is full. Boat has been used all summer with no issues, but has been sitting for the past 6-weeks. Went to start engine and check things over for a little run tomorrow and found this out.

I did notice what appears to be possibly air in the system, as when I go to move it up, in a fraction of a second, the motor/pump runs, and I can hear/feel a small thump when the drive starts to come up.

Comes up entirely in about 5-seconds. Going down, I only let the motor run about 10-sec at a time - wait a minute or two, then do it again. Took about 1-1/2 min of actual run time to get it entirely down.

Any suggestions on what to check or troubleshoot, drain/bleed? I've attached a photo of this unit (I believe it is the Oildyne style).

PowerTrimPump.jpg

Re: Outdrive - Trim sloooow going down, just fine coming up

One more thing - The reservoir cap doesn't tighten completely, and there doesn't appear to be any type of o-ring on the cap. Could this be all that is wrong? I could not image much pressure being in the reservoir but thought I should throw this out there as well.

Thanks

Ayuh,... My guess is the drive's pins, 'n the trim rams, 'n their pins might be gettin' Salt encrusted/ corroded...

Has it been Greased, 'n Serviced lately,..??

Hi Bondo...Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay getting back (Out of town, and when I got back home, my PC bit the dust).

Your motto "Any Rease is Better...Than No grease at All..." was right on. I cleaned the trim rams, lubed 'em up. With a little pressure pushing the outdrive down, it took off like it is supposed to do. Up & Down working normally now.

Bondo's the expert - I would disconnect both trim rams and see how they work with no load on them. While they are off you can see how freely the drive moves up and down. I recently had this problem on my Bravo 1 and it was the trim rams. Corrosion got to them where the rod goes in.

Back