Logo

Outboard help before seasons over,PLEASE HELP

Na8en101

Regular Contributor
so while I am waiting for the reeds I have not had a chance to pull the boat out to pull it apart , so I have rebuilt the carbs, did a whole link and sync, replaced all fuel lines , new fuel pump, new water pump and impeller , fixed the timing , replaced all spark plugs , have done spark test jumps half inch, compression test within normal , might be a few other things that I have forgot to mention, but it is a 1977 evinrude 85 hp 85799s, it ran great and was idling well when I was running seafoam through it , ran good for a little but and then returned to this state where it is hard to start will not idle , and if it does it will die soon after , there appears to be fuel on the bottom of the cowl, it will run at higher rpm, not great , but will run, seems to sputter sometimes like it is missing a cylinder that almost kills the engine otherwise you pretty much have to spray starter fluid to get it started, yes I replaced and gapped the plugs after seafoam, does anyone have any suggestions if it turns out not to be the reeds sorry this is all that has been on my mind I just want to be able to go fishing and take the family out on the lake, any suggestions or observations is appreciated, also I gave to replace the impeller again because my dumbass cousin ran it at a high rpm outside of the water , and the overheat alarm will go off if you out it in gear and travel a little bit 50 feet or so also replaced vernatherm

So I am going to try to pull the boat out between storms today, I will be tapping for a pee hole so I will replace all the gaskets also replace all the reeds and gaskets , it might also be am ignition problem how would I go about testing this, I've been trying to research as much as I can as I'm hoping to get as much time on the boat as the season dwindles, I dont want to start replacing stator and power pack when it is not the problem, everything on outboard appears to be original

You might check the Killswitch for voltage when keys on and off and on and off. Any volts will kill spark intermittently. Possibly run a dva test on the ignition system.

Ok so you guys will get a kick out of this , I took a old **** trolling motor on the back to get it to the launch between storms, i could not get it to start would turn over but not start the only way it starts now is if you stick starting fluid in it which is a not ideal ar ALL, but it will clunk out a little bit after , so I get about half way to the launch the trolling motor burns up smells like burnt wires, winds start picking up , I take my emergency paddle to try and get going in the right direction and wind is not helping me get a little further and the paddle snaps now the wind really picks up I'm heading sideways towards a pontoon with the outboard up, had to jump ship with a rope and swim the rest with the boat....starting to feel as if I'm cursed.

I understand the chances of reeds are slim to none just eliminating and already have the parts lol and replacing with new gaskets at the same time that way I know for sure... the kill switch? On the control box?

Was just throwing it out there since you mentioned ignition testing. intermittent voltage on the kill switch wire will affect spark . simply find your kill wire and disconnect it. You'll have to manually kill the motor. Sounds like fuel problem though. Might take the carb out and clean it again in case any junk got in it. Make sure your gas is fresh. That the fuel tank vent is working on the portable gas tank and is open. Also inspect your primer bulb and lines for any air leaks.

I will take the carbs off again and clean them , since they will be off anyways, all fuel lines have been replaced and the bulb , new filter by the bulb too, it has a built in gas tank, and I have no seen anything in the filter but you never know, gas is new also, I put a cheap fuel pump replacement on that could be it also, so i bought a rebuild kit for the original, just doesnt make sense to me, to what is going on

Last edited:
Maybe it is a problem with the built in tank it's the one thing that I have not checked, but if it was a fuel problem would it still run at high rpms? And run fine off of seafoam. Justmaskibg sorry if these questions are stupid

I also have a question if I'm getting half inch spark, does that mean the power pack is functioning, or just that the coil pack is working, how would I go about testing a powerpack, my manual doesnt show and there really isnt any videos or threads on this as far as I could see, just in the process if elimination after I take the carbs off and replace all the gaskets, and tap a tell tale just want this to be the last time I rip it apart for at least this season , get it to idle and running properly not sounding like it's missing once in a while that almost kills the engine

Ignition system is best checked with a dva adapter on a multimeter that has up to at least a 300 volt setting.measures peak ac voltages between components. This would tell you if you have intermittent spark or not. Of course you would need specs on your specific engine.

Back