Logo

Outboard controls question

jon

Regular Contributor
" The controls on my merc 115

" The controls on my merc 115 have been driving me nuts for years now. The first problem I ran into was extra stress in the cables, making it hard to use the throttle. I replaced them & it helped. Due to what I think is partly still stress in the cables, what happens is I cannot adjust the throttle cable correctly. It either will not bottom out to idle as it should, or it won't allow me to open the throttle up all the way.

The second problem is that everything in the control box is worn & sorta bent up. This makes it so the warm up lever never works correctly, giving very little to no throttle adjustment, and in reverse, there's also very little throttle ride. I think it's a combination of cables & box & routing that makes it perform so badly.

I need to replace the cables again, and this time use the correct length of loop at the engine.

The second thing I'm trying to figure out is which controls to go with. I will not pay the $$ for new merc controls - and used might put me back in this situation again.

There's two ways I'll go - either a cheap ($70-100) twin lever single function type box or an aftermarket single lever dual function type ($140)..

The downside with the dual-single is not having my power trim switch & key switch on the handle, but it's guarenteed to solve all mechanical issues. The single lever will be the same as my old merc box, but has the potential to have the same issues again.

Does anyone have any recomendations for controls and/or ideas as to what you have done to fix this type of annoyance etc.. etc..? Thanks for any/all replies,

Jon "

" I would highly recomend the

" I would highly recomend the factory box. The late model boxes are far superior to what they were offering 10 or 15 years ago. Even if you go used, it is still your best option. Aftermarket boxes are usually "one size fits all" and require you to configure the internal mechanism to suit your particular engine. This cam become a problem down the road with linkage coming loose or adjustments moving. I am sure that if you post a listing on the marketplace section of this site you will have no problem finding a nice used box at a very reasonable price. Good luck. "

" Just a reminder for all Mari

" Just a reminder for all Marine Engine users. NAPA auto parts has a great Marine Catalogue that is currently over 500 pages stuffed with OEM replacement parts at a fraction of the cost of your dealer. They have a OEM cross ref guide for part #s, and a super distribution system. They landed me a complete Marine gasket kit to Rebuild a 440 Mopar in two days, no freight charges. They have electronic ignition conversion kits, fuel line, impellers, and about all you need. Beg a cat. from the store and keep in handy. Also have to put in a plug for Hamilton Marine of Portland and Searsport, ME. They have accecc to millions of generic parts for marine engines and are always happy to cross ref a part and order one up or ship to you. Their current cat. lists over 100 impellers for water pumps, some available in the hard to find Nitrile compound (for oil or oily water) Call them at 1 800 639 2715. Good Luck. Kim "

Back