Logo

out drive removal help

KellyC

Hello all, I am new to this board and also new to an I/O as well. I recently bought a 1967 Starcraft Islander for a very good deal knowing that there would be some work to do on it. I am having issues removing the outdrive, the boat has a merccruiser120 engine, and a mercruiser 120 outdrive with serial #2262195. I have the bolts undone and the trim cylinders off and the outdrive in forward gear. I have used a rubber mallet to try and loosen it up with no results, have sprayed penetraiting oil on the coupler as well and that did not help. I am stuck and confused and was wondering if there was anyone here that could give me some idea's as to what else to try. Really don't want to take it to a shop but if I have to I will. Thanks to all in advance for all help offered.

Cant hook up the rams at this time as they are shot. The lines for them were gone when I bought the boat and the po said that they would not work anymore. Sorry I did not put that in the original post, was frustraited and not sure that I remembered every thing.

i have seen people use come a longs, hooked to a tree, pickup truck. I have seen jacks for cars rigged.

You beat on it with a piece a wood between the hammer and the drive, hitting it like a cheatin wife ???

Put a couple of old tires under the drive when it pops off it will fast.

Got a friend with a log splitter, use the ram and hydrolic pump off that. Air shock off a car, got one of them ?

I gave you one of a few ideas it's up to you to rig something.

Thanks for the ideas Cheifalen, I will see what I can do with those ideas. One of those have to work, just have to figure out which one will do the job for me. Again thank you very much.

hook a chain up to the drive, pull using a come along , then with a good amount of pull , use a 5lb hammer with a 2X4 to tap the drive/shock the drive with the pull applied it should pull off some . then with 2 pry bars in the gap with 2 people pry to rest of the way .

SELL/SINK OR LIGHT THE 43 YEAR OLD PIECE OF SH!T ON FIRE..............omg

Winters comming could be used as a burning supliment in the wood stove..........

Sell it and maybe get enough$$ to buy a half tank of oil..........

SORRY could not help myself..............wtf

Last edited:
WTH, don't understand why people have to be so freaking negative. I was asking for ideas not to be crusified for wanting to work on an older boat. I think the old girl has potential and could be a lot of fun. Just trying to get it apart, doing it as something to do in my off time as a hobby sort of. And I know that I could sell just the hull for several K, more than I paid for it by a long shot. So I think that I will just keep the old girl and go about my business. Have never had anyone treat me like this I will say that though. And besides aluminum does not burn to well for anything.

Bert I have the 6 nuts removed from the studs that go through the outdrive.

my opinion , do not use a pry bar when it does start t0 come apart. You could use a wedge of wood so not to damage the metal.

You could also try some heat. Put pressure on the drive backwards then hit it with wood between the drive and the hammer.

If it doesn't move a little heat.

Can you hit the drive shaft at all that goes into the coupler ?

Do you think you have enough room in front of the motor? My thought hook a hoist up, take the weight off the front motor mount. Then remove the front mount after removing the flywheel cover, then the six screw and nuts that hold the bell housing to the motor. Then try to move the motor forward 6 inch's. If the coupler is rusted to the shaft it's gonna be a byatch.

See i'm thinking if you can get the motor out it has to go forward 6 inch's.

Motor out then you can beat on the shaft to get the drive off.

Another way remove the rear motor mount, probably all rusted up, remove the forward mount bottom bolts and hoist the motor forward if you have room or remove the forward mount all together.

See the shaft is rusted in the coupler, the shaft is rusted to the gimbal bearing, or the drive is rusted together.

I'm betting the bearing is rusted to the shaft, and the splines are rusted in the coupler.

Keep you chin up and don't give up, you can do this !

my opinion some people like a challange. buying a boat this old and abused is a good example of this. I hope you did not pay 1000.00 OR MORE FOR THIS ! I like a challage but don't like to loose any big money to do it.

you'll never get several thousand for this setup even with the boat in great shape, but it may cost you that to get there.
have fun and if you need help just come back.

SELL/SINK OR LIGHT THE 43 YEAR OLD PIECE OF SH!T ON FIRE..............omg

Winters comming could be used as a burning supliment in the wood stove..........

Sell it and maybe get enough$$ to buy a half tank of oil..........

SORRY could not help myself..............wtf

if aluminum goes to 10.oo a pound he will get his money back .

I am fairly new at boating. With cars and other items usually old vintage years are considered classics. Are boats different?

Thanks for all the support guys, it is muchly appreciated. I am planning on pulling the motor as this seems like it is the only way the outdrive is going to come off. I have tried the wood and beating and everything that I could think of and this is the last straw to try. I am not giving up on this boat, it is something that I wanted and bought and new going into it that it would be a project. As for cost, I paid 500 for it and was offered 2k for it if I wanted to sell it now. So I would get my money back for it if I decided to sell, but not going to do that. Yes it is old and I think it has some pretty cool lines and is a classic as far as I am concerned. The guy wanted the trailer more than the boat but he is not getting either. Thanks again

a trailer does not loose much value if it has been properly maintained no rust and good tires. a trailer that can hold a 19 ft boat with a single axle is worth at least 1000.00 . does not matter how old it is.

pulling the motor / pulling the drive your unfortunately not going any where. I would continue to pull on the drive . use a 30.00 come along with a chain. this will create 2000lbs of pull.

I don't like aluminum boats on the ocean or areas of rough water. too much bounce. easy to handle/work on and very weather proof.

heavy boats give the best ride in the rough water.

I agree with the rough ride on rough water with aluminum boats. I live here on the Columbia river and will use it mostly there, really dont have the faith in a 22 ft boat for ocean fishing. Call me chicken or whatever but would rather have another 10 feet or so to be out on the ocean.

The trailer is for a 22ft or longer boat, dual axle with new tires and wheels on it. It is also a roller trailer and has an electric winch on the front as well. Trailer is a lot newer than the boat and has been taken care of pretty well.

I will try your suggestion on pulling more on the outdrive, it may help and I am willing to try it.

If you have a 20 something ft long aluminium boat with a 120 from 1967 and you like the boat and want to make a project out of it (which it seems to be already) and you paid 500 then in my opinion I would seek a new complete repower, try to get one from the '90's. A 140 hp 4 cylinder and transom and outdrive. You may be able to grab a cheap fiberglass boat that someone did not take good care of cosmetically but mechanically is still good. Swap out all the stuff into your boat and have many years of fun with a power train that will be easier to get PARTS for and have more power........

One of the issues you face is age, many parts will be difficult to acquire. Also the technology of 1967 with reverse lock out, (trim rams that are severly under powered as you allready know), and materials used back then vs now.

Also as many here have discussed in other posts from time to time you also could look at repowering to a inline 6 cyclinder (165) as that would make a nice increase in power and all you would need to do is relocate the front motor mount.......

JMHO

Here is an example of what I said,

this listing is on the east coast but if it is here it should be there also.

A 1988 boat, a inline 6 cylinder complete power package with boat and trailer for under $1000.00

Not for everyone but in your case it would be a big improvement in power and newer as for easy parts replacement.

Better trim system is a big plus!!

http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/1954837514.html

Also look at this!! this would be a MAJOR improvement!! May require a bit more parts but boy this would be SWEET!!

http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/1951638781.html

Last edited:
I agree with the rough ride on rough water with aluminum boats. I live here on the Columbia river and will use it mostly there, really dont have the faith in a 22 ft boat for ocean fishing. Call me chicken or whatever but would rather have another 10 feet or so to be out on the ocean.

The trailer is for a 22ft or longer boat, dual axle with new tires and wheels on it. It is also a roller trailer and has an electric winch on the front as well. Trailer is a lot newer than the boat and has been taken care of pretty well.

I will try your suggestion on pulling more on the outdrive, it may help and I am willing to try it.

washinton state coast I would not go out with a small boat as well.
here on the east coast during the warm months we don't get that big surf .

however like this week with a storm over bermuda the waves do restrict us to the inland protected rivers and bays . but soon this will pass and it is quite common for small power boats , even small kayaks to paddle out 10 miles.

Back