Logo

OMC V-6 Carb rebuild cost vs DIY difficulty?

fatire

Hi forum members.
I have a 2004 150hp Ocean Pro Johnson which is running roughly at low speeds.
I had to replace the fuel tank last year and it was sucking up orange sandy type substance which I had to clean out of the filter several times so I'm suspecting this engine is due for a carb rebuild.
Can any of you seasoned pro's tell me roughly what the labor should cost?
And I've rebuilt chainsaw carbs before, how difficult are these Johnson carbs to rebuild?
Is carb cleaner like gum-out a viable option to try? (if so any hints on proper procedure appreciated.)

Thanks for your time

Steve in NH

In my opinion the term " rebuild " is overkill on outboard carburetors.--------Generally a good cleaning and a few gaskets is all you need.---------There is no " magic " to it.-----------------Very simple carburetors.-------Just take your time.-------------Plastic parts do not get along well with strong cleaners, so a mild sovent and compressed air is all you need.---Dis-assemble one carburetor at a time.-----Shop labour cost will shock you on this one.

Thanks racer, by rebuild I simply meant disassembly, clean, and replace parts in "rebuild kit", so couple questions:
1) are you inferring one doesn't need to replace all parts contained in the carb. kit? (they're only like $20)
2) would simplegreen do the job of the "mild solvent", if not what would you use?
3) are there any needle valves involved that when messed with (or changed out) could seriously screw up the engines running? If so then I'm not sure I want to take this on.
Thanks again
STeve

Go ahead , this is a simple job.----Nothing will go wrong.-----Take one apart for inspection.-------If parts / gaskets are in good condition why would you install parts from a repair kit that will not make it run any better.----------On another note , have you checked compression and have you checked for spark on all 6 cylinders.------Rough running is not automatically caused by carburetors !

Last edited:
Steve,
I think I used isopropyl alcohol as the solvent when rebuilt my carbs with the kits. You will have to contend with setting float drop distance. But, I don't think you should shy away from the job because of that. What I found to be tricky was getting the feel for the light torque required when reattaching the bowl to the venturi housing; over tightening will deform the sealing surfaces and gasket causing leaks.

Back