Logo

OMC 800 tilt problem

madfish

I have a tilt motor problem with my OMC 800 series stern drive. The motor will not lift up the out drive. I am not sure of the year of the out drive. It has a mechanical shift cable, if that will help Identifying the drive. The boat is a 1979 2000 Tierra *20' with 350 5.7 engine. The out drive is another used one that I put in. I have re- overhaul the tilt assembly and cleaned/greased *pivot arms. The tilt motor seem to not have the power to raise the drive. I did hook up a 12v power drill to it snd seems to work good up and down. The tilt motor is a new one (wps model 82-6850). Could motor just not have enough power? Could it be wrong one? I also checked ground and added new solenoid. Have 12.7 volts to tilt motor.
Would you have any suggestions on why this will not work?
Thanks for any info
Mike
[email protected]

run a battery cable from the pos lug of the battery to the center pos connection of the solenoids. It's the one with the metal strap that feeds the solenoids. Disconnect the battery first and then hook the soenoid end first and then the battery end.

Make sure you have, a fully charged battery. Post back if this corrects the problem. It did for me.

One other thing how tight did you make the screws on the tilt clutch housing ? Maybe you can try loosening the screws first and try the tilt. If it works then you can place another gasket under the cover and have 2 gaskets see the o-ring does the sealing on the cover.

Sometimes over tightening the screws binds the clutch.

Back