Logo

OMC 800 pressure testing

rustymich

Regular Contributor
Is there any links on how to t

Is there any links on how to test the drive before putting it in the water to make sure of no leaks thanks any info on this will help....

"ebay has the pressure tester

"ebay has the pressure tester i just made one with a gauge laying around. Fill the drive with air no more then 15 psi, if it hold for say 5 hours your good to go. you have 3 different places to test.

Some like to do a vacuum also. Wehn you do fill with oil fill from the bottom, and then use a fresh plastic washer can be bought any any dealer.

The intermediate you have to fill from the top like 7 1/2 oz.

The tilt clutch housing is a different dog it calls for 30 weight oil i made a grease fitting and i fill it with grease, to keep water out.

Want more on the tilt i can post a long old post i can copy and paste i made a while ago."

"Ive only found two areas to d

"Ive only found two areas to drain lower and mid I did look for another it must be hidden I do have a setup like that that I used to test my septic lines before using How reliable are these 800 outdrives or should I convert to an alpha have a complete donor boat?????thanks for your thoughts---by reading the post the third area is for the tilt housing is on the boat I just took the drive off to sand,paint and relube..Your saying just tap in a grease fitting to the tilt housing and just fill with grease is tha t right thanks for your help.."

"What manual are you looking a

"What manual are you looking at. You have the upper, lower, and intermediate drive.

When looking at the boat from the rear, on top of the drive, behind the upper is a large screw for filling the intermediate. You remove that large screw, then under the drive next to the steering gear and close to the ball gear is the drain screw for the intermediate.

Did yopu ever open up the tilt clutch housing yet, i bet it's full of water.

Yes i just squirt grease into the zerk fitting you make up for the fill hole in the tilt clutch housing after you clean out the housing.

And if you want to go to a different drive then you have to fill in the hole in the transom, and go from there.

I have a stringer, they are bullet proof but with any mechanical device they don't last forever mine has lasted so far, from 86' and still going strong.

Heres is the link.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/292764.shtml"

Tilt clutch housing drained no

Tilt clutch housing drained no water very little oil will put a fitting in there and fill her up with grease good idea..

Back