Logo

older model power tilt with pics

What year is this model,I realize it is old,and we installed reverse of proper insllation.....duhhhh,no mechanic,but it worked ,it was free,we want to learn where the manual release is and how to refill fluids,we are going to reinstall correctly,it is holding up a 83 johnson 70 hp,if anyone could send info on it that be great,.....nice site lots of great info,from what I see as a first timerpower tilt.jpgpower tilt2.jpg

power tilt.jpgpower tilt2.jpggot that figured out at least

The manual release valve is the small slotted screw at the bottom area, facing to the rear. It just turns and turns and doesn't unscrew. Horizontal is one mode (Tilt function or manual lift/lower) and being vertical is the other mode. I don't remember which is which.

The electric motor is sitting on top of the fluid reservoir. The large knurled knob/screw on the outside of the reservoir unscrews to fill the unit (don't loose the seal/O Ring). Have the engine in the full tilt position, then fill the reservoir to the overflowing point. You may need to do this fill procedure more than once.

Any idea what year and is it rated for a 70 hp.

It does lift and lower the 70 I have on it ,it was free so we gave it a try,it seems to be a little slow with the motor and the way it is on right now don't have the clearance to completely lower it,unfortunately it was kinda of a rush job,to get the boat on the lake so I could have some welding done to my trailer.

So I am trying to find out if it is worth continuing with the full and proper install.

When I got the unit the two screws on the top of the motor were a little loose,and leaked some fluid out .We are hoping the oil is just low,if we need seals.I know what website to go to for help.Thanks again.

got the unit turned the right direction every thing is working as far as up and down,oil seems good.next question,Under a load, full throttle, motor drops down to full bottom,seals bad i assume,still looking for somone who might know what year and make this unit is

got the unit turned the right direction every thing is working as far as up and down,oil seems good.next question,Under a load, full throttle, motor drops down to full bottom,seals bad i assume,still looking for somone who might know what year and make this unit is

The unit is a "Tilt Only" unit, NOT a "Power Tilt/Trim" unit. It is designed only to lift and lower the engine when the engine is not in use (running). It does not have the capability to withstand the pressure exerted by the engine when moving forward. The unit being forced down to its lowest position under a load is to be expected (normal).

That type design was in use even back in the early 1960's.

Back