Logo

Old motor (1974 I6) young guy.... please help

merctech

I will start by saying that I may be in over my head here. I am working on a 1974 Mercury 115. I am good with verados, optis, and race sterndrives but not outboards with distributors. Had no spark, diagnosed it to have a bad trigger and replaced the whole distributor off of another 1974 I6. I now have spark. I indexed TDC of number one cylinder and aligned the rotor as close as i could to number 1 on the cap much like an I/O. But it fires like I am 180 out? Am i missing something here? I know these motors are very touchy so i would like some input if maybe someone out there has ran into this before? Thanks for any help guys. I really appreciate it.

Yikes! This sounds like information i could have used yesterday!!! No, i did the old swap and pray. Was not aware of any dots on the the pulley or flywheel. So if i line those up it will get the timing generally close?

That tiny arrow on the pulley (under the washer) is hard to see, but it's there. Be sure your wires are correct on the cap--there's using a number imbeded in the cap for each wire.

Jeff

Good advice guys. I think the little arrow thing is where i went wrong. I will be going to fix it next weekend and let you know how it goes. Lots of help on here. I can offer a lot of help back with the new stuff, but these old ones get me from time to time. Thanks again!!!
Jared

Yikes! You are going burn holes in every piston if you get it started! The timing mark is not the arrow in the belt cover. It is underneath on the distributor pulley itself. The flywheel should have 3 vertical dots. Maybe a single dot on some motors.

Last edited:
Back