Logo

Old Johnson Seahorse Water Pump Issues

CoryD

I have a old Johnson Seahorse 2.5 Horse HS-20. It runs great, just trying to get it to pump water is a issue. I've taken it all apart and cleaned the whole lower pump system. The rubber pump propeller seams to be fine. It looks good. Just can't seem to get it to pump much water up to the motor. There is just a very very small amount of water that comes out the holes under the motor in the shaft. Did these guys just not pump much water. The motor gets very hot if you run it for more than 5 minutes. I've tried to find a new rubber propeller but just can't find one. I just don't want to burn the thing up. Plan on taken this guy up north to remote lake in Ontario the end of this month and running it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The fact the impeller looks it doesn't mean is good, if the impeller has the shape of the water pump housing is time to change

Thanks bobbyc, I looked up impeller off there website. I'm thinking I'm just going to buy a new one and hope that is the issue. Vintage outboards has three different ones so just trying to figure out which one I need now. I really appreciate all the help from all that wrote in. Thanks.

Back