Logo

Oil Running Down the Outside of the Outer Exhaust Housing

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
"My '75 115 has just had t

"My '75 115 has just had the lower unit resealed, drive, propeller, shift shafts, new water pump by the long time OMC dealer. Passed the vacuum and pressure test.
I ran it one the hose a couple of times and found no water in the oil, but the level was below the vent plug. Added oil on two occasions, maybe 20 cc's. Ran in the bayou for about 30 minutes to confirm the repair. Found the oil clean but again low about 20 cc's.
A couple of days later found a very thin film of oil coming from the adapter plate down the fwd port side of the exhaust housing down to the cavitation plate. The engine had been sitting near upright but turn a little to the right. I seems to have collected at the housing to lower unit joint, but can't tell of coming from the top of the lower unit too.
I have never seen this before. I ran on the hose to see if I could see any leaks, but no.
Can imagine why oil would be leaking from the power head area. Oh, too, the carbs were run near dry.
Any ideas are appreciated."
 
"usually,its a bad pwrhd gaske

"usually,its a bad pwrhd gasket..ahose come off,leaking carbs,or the drain hose,on bottom of breather,disconnected."
 
"JWB,
Thanks for the response


"JWB,
Thanks for the response. How big of a job is the power head gasket???

Thanks, Mike"
 
"Mike, Check your recirculatio

"Mike, Check your recirculation hoses first ."
 
"Never mind, I was informed th

"Never mind, I was informed this engine indeed does not have recalculation hoses. Check your carbs for spitting or yes you will have to remove the head.."
 
"Thanks Andrew and JWB.
Any


"Thanks Andrew and JWB.
Any idea as to how many hours the shop would charge to pull the head to access the gasket, or the cost range?
Does this gasket affect performance or reliability?
The short run I made before this was noticed. It seemed to idle slow and tended to die when idling in gear, but otherwise idled smooth. Mid and full throttle, it ran smooth and full performance.
Thanks, Mike"
 
"Mike its certainly not a prio

"Mike its certainly not a priority to replace the gasket, its quite a job and bolts can snap along the way creating additional expense.
Please do a complete check and make sure its not fuel spitting from the carburettors do a compression check it easy and cost nothing."
 
"Andrew, I ran it one the hose

"Andrew, I ran it one the hose today and could not see anything dripping from the carb section, but it did look shiney. Wonder if I could have flooded the engine when I had it out this weekend and got a good douse out the carbs.
Thanks Mike"
 
Back
Top