Logo

Oil Reservoir Cap Leaking on 225 Mercury Pro XS

vwyatt

New member
Hello everyone, I have a 2012 225 HP Mercury Optimax, and I am having problems with the Oil Reservoir cap leaking. ( this is the small reserve tank on the side of the engine ) The plastic cap seems to tighten up then the strip out so I cannot get it totally tight. Then the cap seems to work loose and leak oil all over the place. Grrrrr Anyone else have these issues, anyone will to share a solution to the problem I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance
 
Hello everyone, I have a 2012 225 HP Mercury Optimax, and I am having problems with the Oil Reservoir cap leaking. ( this is the small reserve tank on the side of the engine ) The plastic cap seems to tighten up then the strip out so I cannot get it totally tight. Then the cap seems to work loose and leak oil all over the place. Grrrrr Anyone else have these issues, anyone will to share a solution to the problem I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

I have the same motor same problem what did you have to do to fix the problem
 
Hello everyone, I have a 2012 225 HP Mercury Optimax, and I am having problems with the Oil Reservoir cap leaking. ( this is the small reserve tank on the side of the engine ) The plastic cap seems to tighten up then the strip out so I cannot get it totally tight. Then the cap seems to work loose and leak oil all over the place. Grrrrr Anyone else have these issues, anyone will to share a solution to the problem I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance
I had the same problem on my 2001 Optimax 225. The float sensor went bad so I had to replace the tank. Brand new and yet the cap kept coming loose and gallons of oil pumped into the cowl. I solved it by drilling a hole in the cap and installing a tire valve stem, and then gluing the cap to the tank with 3M 4200. I can bleed any air thru the tire valve. Works like a charm.
 
Back
Top