Logo

Oil pan leak-drain plug 1996 4.3 L

mpt

Contributing Member
I have a stamped steel pan under my 1996 4.3 ltr V6. with a brand new short block. After installing oil pan and filling with oil prior to priming the oil pump I discovered a leak at the drain plug/dipstick tube. I've tried many ways to seal it and oil still drips out. I tried teflon tape on the threads, replacing the o-rings and gaskets, tighten it tighter, still leaks. Any body have an idea of some better way to seal it? Any replies would be much appreciated.

Re: Oil pan leak-drain plug

Remove the oil from the engine, Remove the drain plug and dipstick tube. (Should be the banjo type Fitting) Get the original Drain plug gaskets from Volvo. Try to get the rubber covered steel washers. They work the best. By the way, Did you plug the hole in the block for the press in dipstick tube?

The press in dipstick hole in the new short block was plugged at the machine shop during assembly. I tried new gaskets before from Volvo and still had a leak. I'm going to go ahead and drain oil, clean all oil residue off of banjo fitting, re-tape bolt thread with lots of teflon tape, try new rubber covered steel washer, then apply JB weld between the banjo fitting and the oil pan. Wish me luck!

Problem found!
I found out that after I removed the oil pan, I cleaned out all oil throughly. I then held the pan up to a light and while looking inside of the pan and found 3 little pin holes of daylight coming in. They were located around the threaded drain plug hole where banjo fitting screws in. All this time I thought the leak was from the threaded area! Awhile ago when I first removed the pan it had some rust spots that I had to remove with a Dremel and sander bit. Some of the rust must have eaten through the steel enough to allow the oil leak. I suspect they're from the spot welds on the bung on the inside. I applied JB weld to both inside and out of the pin holes. I'm confident this will stop the leak. In the meantime I'l shop for a new oil pan.

Head over to the hardware store and pick up some brazing rods and flux. If you have a propane torch, get some map gas and braze the holes. No need to replace the pan.

Back