Logo

Oil light

spankkie

Hello, got a 2004 BF225A4LA.
It idles just fine on the muffs and will reve to 2500 which is as much as I feel safe doing. But after the warm up bout 15 to 20 mins, when you reve it up at about 1200 or so the green light goes out buzzer sounds constant and the engine starts to surge until you go back to idle. And the buzzer stay on and no green light. ALso the mil light is always on?
Any thoughts on this problem. THANKS

Well, I don't know but it's definitely trying to tell you that the oil pressure is low.

That might be because of any
number of reasons including the warning system has a problem. This engine uses two oil pressure sensors...one low and one high...it might be something as simple as one of those has an issue.

I'm assuming you have checked the oil fill level but do you know anything about the condition of the oil? As in...

When was the last oil and filter change?
Specified oil used?
Good quality filter used?

Any possibility that the oil might be contaminated? Gasoline from leaky injectors can dilute the oil and cause bearing damage.

I would be looking into getting a test gauge hooked up post haste and seeing exactly what is happening before running it more.

Sorry I don't have any specifications to give you as to what the pressure should be but others here might be able to give you some good advice along with that info. It's just that many are out fishing right now so you will need to be patient.

Good luck.

Well, I don't know but it's definitely trying to tell you that the oil pressure is low.

That might be because of any
number of reasons including the warning system has a problem. This engine uses two oil pressure sensors...one low and one high...it might be something as simple as one of those has an issue.

I'm assuming you have checked the oil fill level but do you know anything about the condition of the oil? As in...

When was the last oil and filter change?
Specified oil used?
Good quality filter used?

Any possibility that the oil might be contaminated? Gasoline from leaky injectors can dilute the oil and cause bearing damage.

I would be looking into getting a test gauge hooked up post haste and seeing exactly what is happening before running it more.

Sorry I don't have any specifications to give you as to what the pressure should be but others here might be able to give you some good advice along with that info. It's just that many are out fishing right now so you will need to be patient.

Good luck.
Thank you for replying.
When I got it was water in the oil had the heads shaved was a little out.
That has stopped the water issue so far. I put cheap oil in it to see if anymore water got in but a Honda filter. The sensors are behind the intake. Hard to check the pressure. Any thoughts

Yes! What a PAIN they located so much under the intake. But....not much to do but deal with it.

You say it starts and idles ok and the light is on until it's warmed up and you give it throttle. So....it's possible that there IS an issue with the high pressure part of the warning system. BUT...how to test for that??

To be safe, I would still want to hook up a mechanical oil gauge and test the pressure. If it's losing pressure, you just don't want to run it that way.

BUT...the great place to check oil pressure on most engines is at the port for the sender switch. BUT...you can't get to yours!!!

BUT....there are oil filter pressure testing adapters and, if you can find the one that fits, then you can do it that way. They run about $25 to $40 dollars.

You'll then likely need a good gauge in the 0 to 60 or 0 to 80 psi range and possibly a flex line that will attach to the adapter that you can connect the gauge to. You just need to set it up so you can easily and safely read the gauge with the engine running.

Don't make the mistake of using a gauge that reads 160 or 200 psi as the accuracy suffers if you don't stay as close to the expected range of the desired pressure.

Knowing what actual oil pressure is will allow you to make the most intelligent decisions about what to do going forward.

Good luck.

Something worth checking that can cause low oil pressure(oil light going off) is the crankshaft thrust washers. You can check them by checking the crankshaft end float. It's not hard to do. The spec is approx 0.018"

Bob

Got the oil light problem fixed.was loose wire at the ecm, got lucky on this one I guess.
Will this 2004 BF225A4 LA hook up to NMEA2000?

Back