Logo

Oil Leak

hgput17

Hi. I have an oil leak which pretty much empties out the oil pan. It happens when the boat is not running, e.g. fill it up with 5-6qts, come back in a couple of days and it's all in the bilge and nothing on the dip stick. My thinking is it is leaking out of either the dipstick (corrosion(?)) or where the dipstick tube / elbow / oil pan interface. My dipstick travels to the bottom of the pan. Engine is a mid-90s 454 Crusade

Has anyone had this happen? is this difficult to replace? w/out pulling the engine? Thank you in advance.

If its leaking that much oil, the source has to be down in the area you suspect. If there is a cast oil pan your only choice is the dipstick tube/fitting.

If you have access, replacing it shouldn't be too bad. Get an oil absorbing sheet/mat because anything left in the pan will come out if you pull that fitting.

You may want to check the nut at the bottom of the dipstick...I have seen one that was loose (leaked but nowhere near what you described).

Thank you. I believe I can reach it if I pull the exhaust manifold, but won't be able to see it. Does anyone have a parts diagram or schematic they can post so I can get a sense for what is down there? I looked in a parts manual and it shows a t-shaped fitting.

Back