Logo

Oil in single cylinder - not head gaskit - 135 Evinrude

beensoko

New member
Hi,

Ive been trying to get this motor running properly for about 4 months and I'm at my wits end, and about to move on unless some hero can offer some new insight. I have a 70's era Evinrude 135 that misfires and idles rough, i've replaced the fuel pump, carb rebuild ext ext. Realized bottom left cylinder was milky when inspecting the plugs, took off head and replaced gasket, the internals looked to be in good condition, put it back together and... same issue. Im thinking the only cause could be a cracked cylinder but I didn't see any crack and I don't know enough about these engines to say for sure. Is there anything else I should check before I scrap this engine?

Thanks
 
What are the results of a compression test ?----Do you have strong spark on all leads , yes or no ?-----It could be a failed lower crank seal letting water into the motor.
 
I will run the compression again tonight and let you know, but it tested strong a few months ago. Strong spark on all leads, new power pack and coils. I noticed when I removed the head and cleaned the bore when I returned the next day more milky oil seemed to be seeping past the piston ring into the cylinder, as if the fluid/problem is in the crank and only showing on #2 cylinder because it is physically the lowest.
 
Any evidence that this motor was apart ?---If water gets into a crankcase it damages bearings fairly quickly.--Exhaust cover gaskets checked ?
 
No, but I suspect it has been. The bearings seems tight from the piston side. I will check exhaust cover tonight, can water get in through that gasket?
 
Back
Top