Logo

off topic but could use some help with 500 cubicin caddy motor

sammi

Regular Contributor
I have a 1971 eldorado that ran fine. I went in a quick 5 mile drive and it ran fine. Then in the driveway it started missing badly at idle then quit. It wont go past idle or will stall. It always starts but runs like crap. Thought i had old gas that wenr bad but fresh gas does same thing. I put a timing light ob it and can see that it has no spark on that cylinder from time ro time. It is totally variable as to when it quits. What is causing that? Can a bad coil do that? Oddly, i replaced the coil and it wont start at all with the new one.

I think it was corroded points. I sprayed a little contact cleaner on them and it is 90% better. Im going to change them out this week sometime

make sure you set the gap using a dwell meter for best results...and like DD suggests, change the capacitor while you have things apart.

Well... thank goodness I was only 18 then. I did however, borrow my mom's 71 El Dorado in 1972 to take a trip to a brand new theme park in Orlando ....Disney World ! Great ride from NJ. Gas was bout 38 cents a gallon too which was great cause I only made about $44.00 a week.

Back