Logo

Odd Electrical Issue - Crusader 350's (454cid)

Natchamp

Gents,

I have an issue that I can't figure out so I'm trying to see if you guys have any ideas or have come across this before.

Application: Twin Crusader 454's, @ 3 hours run time after major work done including rebuilt alternators.

Symptom: Some times when running the engines, both voltage gauges read low voltage @ 11v. Normally, they show @ 13 which is good. The problem does not always occur. Shutting down the engines and firing them back up has no effect. However, I can come back the next day or later in the afternoon, start them up and they will read the normal 13v.

The chances of both alternators failing at the same time are pretty slim, not to mention they will come back to normal after a while. I haven't had it running long enough to isolate the exact situation/scenario that is repeatable that causes the problem. But right now I'm at a loss as to where to start looking/checking.

Any ideas?

You need to check the voltage at the batteries and directly on the alternators when the gauge is reading 11 volts. Alternators may be working fine, possible bad power feed to the helm.

Back