Logo

No spark

floater1

Regular Contributor
'78 Evinrude 55 not getting any spark. Where to start looking besides the coil? This is my first o/b after years of having an i/o. Thanks in advance for your help.

Why besides the coil? Hows the powerpac? plug wires? If the coil is giving spark we know its beyond that- plug wires, plugs.

Disconnect the black/yellow wire from pulse pack and see what happens. If still no spark you have a mtr prob. If you have spark you have a boat prob.

The issue is in the motor rather than the boat. After several hours of checking things out its looking like it may need a new amplifier (OMC part # 389549). Ayuh they aren't cheap.

What year is your motor ????--------a 78 55 HP is a 2 cylinder motor if yours is a 3 cylinder than it is 68 or 69 model.

Yes its a '69 (model # 55873r). From what I can tell this motor had a good reputation in its day. If I'd ever need to replace the hydro-electric shift lower unit I may be in trouble, needle in the haystack I'm afraid, lol.

Those 68 3 cylinder lower units are easy to find , depends on where you live I guess.------------These lower units are actually very good , well engineered and reliable.---Just make sure no water gets in there.

Back