Logo

No spark

jasonf

I have a 60hp evenrude that i

I have a 60hp evenrude that i just removed the plugs on and they were full of gas does that mean that i primed to much. I just got three new carbs put on a few months does that mean that they are not set right

"Model number TE60TLCEA is a 1

"Model number TE60TLCEA is a 1989 60hp Evinrude.

The only adjustable needle valve would be on the port side of the carburetors. At an idle, simply screw one in slowly, a little at a time until the engine has a tendency to die out, then back it up to where the engine runs the smoothest. Then go on to the next carburetor.

If you have no spark, this is the reason why the spark plugs are wet with fuel.

Disconnect the large RED electrical plug at the engine. Remove the spark plugs. Now, crank the engine by using a small jumper wire from the red battery cable at the starter solenoid to small 3/8" terminal nut that energizes the solenoid, (not the ground nut) and observe spark.

If you now have spark, the usual cause is a shorted ignition switch, in which case, replace the switch.

If still no spark, inspect the stator under the flywheel for cracks and any substance that may be dripping down from it upon the powerhead area. If there should be a substance leaking down from it, replace it.

Let us know what you find."

it has a good spark i unhooked

it has a good spark i unhooked the fuel line and it fired up just fine every time i hit the key but it ran bad i forget and leave the vent open on my fuel tank could this be the problem water in the gas

"Possibly a diaphram in the fu

"Possibly a diaphram in the fuel pump is cracked or the carburetor floats are not adjusted properly.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked."

"while we are on the subject o

"while we are on the subject of "no spark" I need some help with two evinrude engines and the "wiring" spark problems. Joe, you seem very knowledgeable, would you please help me?"

the engine that I have is a 19

the engine that I have is a 1964 9422S 9.5 hp. I am not getting any spark at the plugs. I have taken the top off to reveal the points. I have another engine here in the yard that is also a 1964 evinrude model # 28402M but it is a 28hp. I took it apart to see if I could "borrow" parts from it if there are interchangeable points. However I can't get spark on it either so I think I must have something wired incorrectly.

"Barry......

(MarineEng

"Barry......

(MarineEngine.com - Properly Inserted Post)

Go back to the previous page and click on the "Start New Discussion" hyperlink that exists in the "Blue Border".

This will allow you to enter your question/post under your own title heading which will then appear at the top of the list.

As it now stands, your post is buried under the post of another member.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

But for now... (Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back