Logo

No spark - 1963 Mercury 650 - magneto OK?

dtmille2

Getting no spark, changed the plugs, not sure what to check next.

One question I had is related to the grounding wire on the magneto -- it measures 0.5ohm resistance to ground whether the switch is "off" or "on". I thought with the switch off the resistance to ground would be much lower than with it on.

Any thoughts?

Some will argue.----It takes just 4 screws ( 3/8" wrench I think ) to remove the bottom half of the magneto.-----Then remove cap and rotor.------Clean and set breaker points at 0.010"------Test for spark before re-installing the bottom half back onto the motor.----Careful as some parts are expensive.------Yes , the resistance should be different with switch on or off.

When you're measuring at the stud you are reading the primary coil resistance but when the switch is turned off it should reach 0. kiekhaefer-magnetosmall.jpg
There's a wick that lubricates the cam, if it's worn out get a new one or pull the old one out and turn it around. Without it the points can stay closed after a few hours. This site has hundreds of guys who know magnetos http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/index.php

Last edited:
Back