Logo

No fire runs for thirty minutes or so and quits 57 liter

a013642

New member
"I have a 1997 volvo penta gas

"I have a 1997 volvo penta gas 5.7 liter v8. Crazy problem. The boat runs like a champ when cold. Cranks up will run about 15-30 minutes and then dies. You can always tell when it it about to quit if you hit the trim it starts missing big time. The last time it died on me did a lot of testing in the water. Definately is not getting any spark. So far have replace coil, coil wires and ignition module sensor. The funny thing is when we put the new ignition sensor on the distributor it will not fire at all. Thought we just got a bad sensor. Now have tried 4 new ones same result. Can us the old one and will fire right up. The problem is i think the sensor is what is causing the problem from the get go. Have took to mechanic at this point and he is stumped too. Help will be appreciated getting very frustrated. Thanks"
 
Is it injected? Have you looke

Is it injected? Have you looked at and checked the ground point on the rear of the motor?
 
"This is just where I'd st

"This is just where I'd start.
I am going to take it that you have checked for the correct voltage at the coil.

Check that it is not loosing power to the + and - side of the coil when it stops. If you put a test light on each side of the coil you can tell if the coil is loosing power.
If the coil has no power when it quits check the circuit from the key switch and the condition of the interupt switch.

To make sure it is not the power circuit you can place a wire from a circuit known to have 12 volts at all times to the + side of the coil. Disconnect any wires from the + side and any wires that do not go to the ignition on the - side when doing this test.
Of course you need to disconnect this jumper wire to stop the engine.

If the engine now runs as it should replace the wires removed from the - side of the coil and re-test. If the engine still runs correct then check the circuits on the + side for shorts to ground or opens.

These sensors MOST times either work or they don't.
Not often does one work for a few minutes then quit. One question I have is how do you know it has no spark? What are you doing to check for spark?
Just asking,just trying to help.
What doesn't make sense is the new pick-ups not working. Do these new pick-up coils / sensors have the same wiring as the old one?"
 
Tested the spark by removing t

Tested the spark by removing the plug and trying to get an ark next the motor. Nothing exept when cold.

When we replaced the sensor the new sensor has a purple wire on top and black on bottom. The used part from the boat has black wire on top purple on bottom. It is the only difference have found in the new part. Have tried wires both ways. Do you think i should just by a new distributor kit with the sensor included and move on?

THanks
 
I just have a feeling the dist

I just have a feeling the distributor is not the problem unless the bushings are worn letting the shaft move around. I doubt this is the problem in a boat of this ones age but I have no idea of the hours on it either.

Does the ignition system have an external control module?

If so this could be the cause. I have seen these module's act this way. Work fine until it warms up.
 
I think the only controle modu

I think the only controle module on the boat in the one on top of the distributor. I will double check on that.
 
"he is right on the button con

"he is right on the button controll modual i have seen them bolted to exaust the dist, block,manifold you now the black box i just cant remember on a volvo? it's definetly a mercruiser thing.does it have a pickup coil?"
 
Back
Top