Logo

No Fire for a 2002 BF 50?

captb

Contributing Member
Just got done running the skiff for a little while with the dogs this afternoon and while the motor was idling at the dock, while I backed the trailer down, the motor cut off. It never does that.

So, winched it up on the trailer and brought it home. Checked the spark, since it smelled flooded and got nothing on all three cylinders. Its dark now and I've got too many projects in the shop right now to back the boat in so I gave up for the night.

Haven't had any time to mess with it other than that, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any ideas for me to start with.

Anything I should go to first? Common issues that anyone knows of?

Thanks, B

The are only a few things that cuts the spark on all the cylinders.

Key switch
Safety switch
Exciter coil (under flywheel)
Pulser coil (under cam pulley)
CDI
Any connection in between any of them

The only things that are probably ok...the three coils...very unusual for all three to fail at one time.

Mike

i haven't figured out which coil, but one of em is burned pretty bad. its on the starboard under the flywheel. i'm hoping that's it.

thanks, b

The exciter is mounted more to the rear under the flywheel. Disconnect it from the CDI and measure the resistance between its two leads. Should be between 168 -227 ohms. Also check the resistance of each lead to ground....it should be an open circuit and read infinity resistance.

You may want to check real close to be sure the magnets on the flywheel did not come delaminated and hit it and tore it apart. If so, you will have to replace the exciter and most probably the flywheel, unless you can reapoxy the magnets onto the flywheel....which works only some of the time, but not recommended for safe operation. The correct thing to do in that case is replaced the flywheel....not cheap.

Mike

Back