Logo

No compression. Boat anchor or fixable?

Elrod84

Here's my dilemma... just bought a 1987 Alumacraft Classic 16 with a Mariner 60E 2 stroke (serial is 675 L 307 240 and made by Yamaha). First boat and was super excited to get my kids out on the water. Pre purchase, the engine water tested okay and ran solid given the age. Smoked but given a 2 stroke, I didn't think too much about it. Water was shooting out the back fine, so water pump seemed to be working. Also, compression was in the 110-120 range on both cylinders. So didn't think too much of any major engine issues. Once home, ran it on first outing for about 45 min until losing power. Wouldn't crank except in full throttle neutral and died when putting into idle. Been trouble shooting ever since, and thought it was a fuel, spark, or carb issue. Addressed new fuel filter and plugs. And was about to do a carb rebuild. Didn't think to check compression until yesterday after reading around and decided to test... bottom cylinder read 120, but top one wouldn't even register. No compression. My heart sank. So now trying to figure out if engine is fixable / worth a rebuild? Or is the engine now a boat anchor? Anything I'm missing? Thanks for any insight.

When I pulled the plug for the compression test, only saw oil on the threads. Didn't look like water but could double check. I had a blown head gasket on an old Volvo once and looked like chocolate milk. Guessing it'd look the same on an outboard?

That the old "Alien cowl " 60. Not many parts offered from Mercury parts side, lil more on Yammy side. Pull head and inspect, if gasket replace it and impeller also. If cylinder damaged junk it and find a Johnrude 3 cylinder 60.

Pulled head and there is a nice size hole in the top. Talked with mechanic and parts are super limited. Can't find any new replacement pistons, etc. With parts being limited, did find another 80s Mariner 60E that I could use as donor. Do you think that's worth doing an engine swap? Trying to confirm compatibility. The other Mariner 60E serial is 6F0 L 302 899. Or count my losses and just go with another outboard

Pulled head and there is a nice size hole in the top. Talked with mechanic and parts are super limited. Can't find any new replacement pistons, etc. With parts being limited, did find another 80s Mariner 60E that I could use as donor. Do you think that's worth doing an engine swap? Trying to confirm compatibility. The other Mariner 60E serial is 6F0 L 302 899. Or count my losses and just go with another outboard
Cut your losses and get a different motor.

Back