Logo

Nissan NSF6A2 4hp?!

jplee3

Hi all

Looking at a 2002 Nissan NSF6A2 now - seller has it advertised as 4hp though which is strange. I inquired and he said someone else questioned whether its 6hp and suggested its 4hp (not sure how they would have determined this). He said he had the carb overhauled and a new impeller installed by a local marine company. He inquired with them and they didnt give him a straight answer as to whether its 4hp or 6hp lol. Is it possible or likely that he had a smaller 4hp carb installed during the overhaul?

Otherwise, it sounds like it has relatively low hours as he used it to tender to a mooring in a harbor.

What do you guys think? And is there a really obvious or easy way to tell if it actually is in fact 6hp?

This would be my first motor so just want something that will be relatively easy to [learn to] maintain and service but that's already in decent condition

The 4/5/6 are identical except for the carbs. You can read off the casting number from the carb to determine which one is installed.

The 4/5/6 are identical except for the carbs. You can read off the casting number from the carb to determine which one is installed.
Thanks. I am going to try to see if I can get the stamp/etch - someone on one of the Tohatsu FB groups sent me the specs that match up with the stamp. He's asking $390 for it (which will include the gas can/line and a wooden stand) - if it is in fact 6hp, is that a pretty good deal?

Update: I confirmed it's the 6HP (carb serial # 3RFA) - spent some time looking at it and it *appears* to be pretty clean from what I can tell. I'll post some pics soon perhaps. I asked if he'd be willing to do $340 and he obliged. He included a few other items besides the gas can/line and wood stand that he made for it: hoist strap, hoist bar (that he made) and also a small 15gal garbage can that he modified/cut to fit the prop when cleaning/flushing/testing. He's the original owner since 2002 and only used it for transport to moorings for sailing expeditions. When done with any given trip, he would bring everything back home, flush/rinse/clean, and then dry store so the engine seems to have been taken very well care of and he also seems to have kept up with the service/maintenance on it as well.

Back