Logo

Nissan NS40C outboard

domonio

I have a question about my Nissan 1988 NS40C outboard. I lost spark on both cylinders and I did a checkout of what could be wrong on the electrical side. The brown and black wires were disconnected and still no spark. So I checked the exciter coil and had 318 ohms. Looks like it is in specs. Pulsar coil read 21 ohms. Now I checked out two different web sites and got different specs. One said 30-46 ohms and one said 18-22 ohms. Does anyone no for sure what is the correct pulsar reading for my engine. It has the internal ignition coil cdi unit.

Is your battery fully charged? Starter needs to turn engine over between 200-300 RPM for stator to produce an ignition spark

Is your battery fully charged? Starter needs to turn engine over between 200-300 RPM for stator to produce an ignition spark
That motor does not need any battery; It is also equipped with a recoil starter. It does not have a stator.

Domonio,

You need to follow the procedures in the Factory service manual, available from any Tohatsu dealer. Forget the web sites and aftermarket manuals.

The exciter coil output is tested with a DVA meter (100 DVA minimum), but you can get an idea of how good it is with an ohm meter. It should show 200-300 ohms, +/- 25%. The pulser coil should output 3.0 DVA, and have a resistance of 30-46 ohms, +/- 25%.

Assuming that these tests pass, and you need to test the integrated CD, you must use an analog (not digital) ohm meter, with a battery voltage of 3 vdc or less (not 9v), or testing will damage the CD.

Thank you Paul, that is what I wanted to know. So if I may ask is 21 ohms on the pulsar good or marginal. The motor ran good and when I went to flush it out, it seem to be running on one cylinder. I pulled the plugs out and grounded them to the block and had no spark on either plug. It will crank but not running right. Clean carb, good battery, over 120 compression both cylinders and new plugs.

21 is outside the tolerance range. I would check it with a DVA meter. If it passes, you will want to test the CD.

Thanks Paul for your answer. I will check the DVA on the pulsar coil and let you know what I find. If I need one I found a new old stock one on e-bay for 25.00. I might get it just for a spare.

Hi Paul, I checked out everything and I guessed from the start it was the cdi box. I ordered a cdi electronics box that should be here by the end of the week. I will update you when I get it installed an running good again. I wanted to also let you I grew up in Oswego New York ( lake Ontario and fished with my dad all the time growing up) and moved to Florida when I was 19. Have been boating since 1986 here in Florida. Have had many boats and motors. Thank you again for your help.

Hey guys, thanks for your help. It was the cdi box and I got it today hooked it up runs like new. Thanks again for your help everyonr.

21 is outside the tolerance range. I would check it with a DVA meter. If it passes, you will want to test the CD.
Can I ask a quick question I'm new to all this may I ask what a "CD" is I also don't know what a "DVA" is? Any knowledge would be very much appreciated thank you for your time god bless.

CD is capacitive discharge ignition. DVA is digital voltage adapter (to catch the very quick pulse).

Back