Logo

Nissan NS30A4 2003 Starter/Gear Issues Troubleshoot

Outboard1

I am having issues starting my motor -

Was working fine until I tried to crank it to motor back to ramp. The starter fired once then would not crank. The solenoid was clicking but nothing more. At first, the gear would not go into reverse. Tilted motor up and could get it into reverse. Set back down, reverse locked up again. Was going into forward fine. Pull cord is locked as well. Took cowling off and noticed starter arm rod had come unhooked.

Now I have the starter arm rod reattached, but still no luck getting motor to do anything besides solenoid click. I checked prop turning and noticed it is locked in reverse, but spins freely in neutral and also forward...

Not sure if this is a starter arm/ lock issue, a gear engaging or shaft issue, etc. Would starter not turn over even if forward was not engaging properly?

Boat has been run regularly and maintained well otherwise.

Any thoughts to troubleshoot this or what issue might be? Replaced spark plugs last spring, had new fuel line put in. Never taken out carb or anything. IMG-2755.jpgIMG-2754.jpgIMG-2753.jpg

Not sure what a starter arm rod is. You may not go into reverse on any OB if it's not running. If the pull cord is stuck, likely the neutral safety lockout engaged. If so, you need to pop that out. It can jam. That will prevent the recoil or the electric from turning the motor. There's also an electrical cutout that will prevent the solenoid from engaging if the motor is in gear.

Back