Logo

Newbie needs help getting to impeller on 2001 Johnson 3HP 2-stroke outboard

dave_in_az

I am stuck trying to replace the impeller on my 3HP direct-drive Johnson outboard. I just can't figure out how to take apart the lower unit and mine is so small that it is a little different than the ones everyone always posts about. The impeller is not in the vertical midsection. It is just in front of the prop and aft of the gears themselves.

I have some photos and the diagram of the lower unit posted here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ow59Wo5mN5VSSRYk6

You can see I took the prop off and I took off the two bolts (#16 in the diagram) holding plates #10 and #15, but then I am stuck. I even detached the whole lower unit from below the extension kit by removing the two bolts (#7) to see if that made a difference, but it didn't. I have to believe I am missing something obvious that the folks on this forum can tell me to do (or that my wife can point out in 5 seconds after walking past).

I am sailor for whom engines are a necessary evil so I respect all of you who understand this stuff better than I do. I have already cleaned the carb, added oil to the gearcase, and replaced the leaky fuel valve/filter. However, my dear late friend whom I met through buying this boat/engine combo always told me to replace the impeller regularly so I am trying to do that in his honor while the motor is at my house and not at the lake. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Remove the propeller hub(black plastic part)and should be able to remove impeller cover

Thanks for your quick reply.

That's is basically where I got stuck. How do I get that hub off? Is it threaded on? I couldn't tell from the diagram I posted and when I tried to turn it, the whole shaft turned with it. Those white plates also did not come off.

LIke I said, I'm new to this.

Take 2 flat blade screwdrivers under hub and pop it off. It just slips up on shaft and driven with shear pin

Thanks, faztbullet! That was so easy. Two screwdrivers and it came right off. You are my hero.

Like I said, I was treading lightly as this engine has both practical and sentimental value to me.

Back