Logo

New to me 9.9 Merc

ibnfshn

Advanced Contributor
I just bought my very first 4 stroke motor. A used 9.9 merc 4 stroke, 2000 model. My manual won't be here for a couple weeks and I want to change the oil in the motor and L/U. Anyone using synthetics? What do you prefer.

I would stay with oem oil this web sight should have availible full syn may not be recomended most are blends after break in. quality lubes are always recomended stay oem....

If I had a manual I would. Also you got to remember that manual was written 12 years ago. Things do change so it never hurts to ask.

found these:
According to the a merc service manual, Use 4-Stroke Outboard Oil with the proper viscosity for the expected temperature in your area. If not available, use a premium quality 4-stroke engine oil, certified to meet or exceed anyone of the following American Petroleum Institute (API) service classifications SH, SG, SF, CF-4, CE, CD, CDll. by jammintomusic
not just marine it should be nmma certified. it has additives and corrosion inhibitors for the marine environment. by poptop

Back