"Hey all,
Short version: I
"Hey all,
Short version: If any of you have experience, I was hoping for a list of dependable parts for a marine 305 rebuild.
Long version. Bought a 1978 22', with an OMC 800. It's former home was Ohio, and interior FL (no saltwater). I ran it once, from fresh to salt, and back. On that run, the upper fried.
3 months later, having replaced the drive, the engine would not start. Turn over, but not start. Played with timing/wires/sparkplugs for three days. At end of three days, would not turn over. Assumed it was the starter (bad idea). 3 months later, convinced the wife to allow me to replace the parts (along with a few others..tilt & trim motors, alternator). Got it together..and...nothing. Tried wrenching the ball gear. No turn.
Got it apart yesterday (after going Rome, and building a 12' gantry in my driveway). Everything has a light coating of rust. One cylinder was full of water.
So I'm learning
Will take it to the machine shop tomorrow, and find out if the cores are rebuildable. Of course, I've called three, and immediately they try to sell me their rebuilds, which doesn't make me comfortable with the opinion to begin with, but I gather these are oftem problematic.
I've found multiple rebuild marine "kits" But I'd almost rather pick the specific parts, and shop individually. Only I have no idea what are good parts and what are accidents waiting to happen."
Short version: I
"Hey all,
Short version: If any of you have experience, I was hoping for a list of dependable parts for a marine 305 rebuild.
Long version. Bought a 1978 22', with an OMC 800. It's former home was Ohio, and interior FL (no saltwater). I ran it once, from fresh to salt, and back. On that run, the upper fried.
3 months later, having replaced the drive, the engine would not start. Turn over, but not start. Played with timing/wires/sparkplugs for three days. At end of three days, would not turn over. Assumed it was the starter (bad idea). 3 months later, convinced the wife to allow me to replace the parts (along with a few others..tilt & trim motors, alternator). Got it together..and...nothing. Tried wrenching the ball gear. No turn.
Got it apart yesterday (after going Rome, and building a 12' gantry in my driveway). Everything has a light coating of rust. One cylinder was full of water.
So I'm learning
I've found multiple rebuild marine "kits" But I'd almost rather pick the specific parts, and shop individually. Only I have no idea what are good parts and what are accidents waiting to happen."

