Logo

New Power for Old Glastron 1974 302El

"El,

I decided to pick up a

"El,

I decided to pick up a new engine and came up with this new explorer 302 (see pix).

I am getting this Ford Explorer crate motor shipped to me. I do not have the exact year, block number, etc. yet.

I noticed that it has a new harmonic balancer but no flywheel. I have read that flywheels and balancers have to be balanced but am not sure how to accomplish this or how to find the correct flywheel.

Will my old setup work?
116584.jpg
116585.jpg

Need help on this one. Also, El, do you have the fresh water system?

thanks,

Jim"

"Its not an issue we reuse fly

"Its not an issue we reuse flywheels all the time because longblocks dont come with new ones. In my race engine the crank, flywheel and balancer are balanced together but it also spins 6800RPM regularly."

"Will,

Thanks for the infor

"Will,

Thanks for the information. I am working on the carburetion or other alternatives. The old engine had a 450 CFM Holley carburetor. I was hoping to go with fuel injection but it looks pretty complicated and costly right now. The explorer engine should have some advantages over the older (1974) 302 while still being easy to install.

Thanks,

Jim"

"Don't even think of tryin

"Don't even think of trying to use the Explorer's EFI in a boat! For one thing, where will you install the O2 sensor? And that's just the start.

Jeff"

"The system that I was thinkin

"The system that I was thinking about using was off of a Mercruiser. It is set up for marine but looks pretty complicated, especially compared to a carburetor. I also looked at a Holley EFI system but it had mixed reviews. The only other one did not have their CG approval yet.

Back to marine Holley or?

Jim"

"was that a 2 or 4 barrel carb

"was that a 2 or 4 barrel carb? IF it is a two barrel I would upgrade for a good double pumper 500CFM I run edelbrock marine carbs and am really happy with them on my cruisers and fishing boats but for all out full throttle use, a holley will out perform. I dont really know what a marine EFI system consists of but unless its SFI I dont think its worth all the trouble of an install not to mention when your stuck on the water with basic tools and spare parts nothing beats a carb and pertronix ignition for ease of diagnostics and repair just by keeping it simple. just my 2cents."

"Will,

I had wondered about

"Will,

I had wondered about Edelbrock carburetors. I know that Edelbrock has a good name but had not heard anything about them.

The Holley on the boat is 450 cfm and has been a good carburetor. With the 302 explorer engine I was not sure whether I needed to get a new or bigger carburetor.

I had heard that the Holleys were a bit more fussy. The edelbrocks are cheaper but I did not find one that was below 600 cfm and was not sure that 600 was not too big.

The more that I dig into the fuel injection the more I think that I should leave it alone. Your 2 cents is always welcome.

Jim

By the way, anyone interested in buying a stand-alone EFI system?

Attachments
116747.jpg
116748.jpg
"

Well I run the 600 cfm on my 3

Well I run the 600 cfm on my 318 in my boat but have also run them on a chevy 283 in a chris craft both worked very well. I think with the edelbrock the engine will only take as much fuel and air as it want/needs. and if on initial hard acceleration it gives too much gas the accelerator pump can be dialed back for less of a shot.

will

"James - The 1974 302 that cam

"James - The 1974 302 that came in your boat is an externally balanced engine with a 28.4 oz counterweight.
Sometime in the 1980's Ford lightened up the crankshaft in their 302's and this required a heavier counterweight aprox 50 oz.

You cannot just bolt your 28 oz harmonic dampner and flywheel onto the newer engine. It will be way out of balance, not run smooth and it will destroy the bearings.

You might be able to bolt your original pulleys to the newer 50 oz harmonic balancer, I'm not sure what the original marine 302 flywheel looks like.

Be Careful, Gilbert"

"Gilbert,

Your are right, I

"Gilbert,

Your are right, I am going to get a new 50 oz flywheel. You can even find high performance new billet CNC ones on ebay for pretty cheap.

Thanks,

Jim"

Back