Logo

New member :) I just got scammed. Need help with '69 johnson 25hp

Quickly. bought my 1st motor from a guy off craigslist. he said it was water ready. just had new head put on, and he said new forward gears and some pin, cuz it would pop out of gear at 1/4 throttle. he started it in a barrel, ran smooth, but he didnt really want to open it up. compression was low in both cylinders,(mid 80's) but i figured i could throw some rings in it. i gave him his $300. The next day i threw it on my boat and took it on my pond to test it. I let it warm up for a couple minutes then put it in gear. did 1 lap then went to open it up and it took off nice, but then it was like it hit neutral and lost all power. (revved high) I'd have to ease the throttle just to get it to move. And sometimes the motor would jump when it would happen. Is it the clutch dog? What are your thoughts and parts costs/suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to help- Chad

Hi Chad,

Does the prop on this motor have a bushing in the prop? This might be the prop slipping if the bushing happens to be spun.

Chad,
The best way for these things to get worked out is to get in touch with the seller.

Without knowing the specifics, I doubt he would have even mentioned the new gears and stuff if he truly intended to scam you. Mentioning it is a sure thing that you'd check into it. Perhaps there is a operating quirk he could share with you. Maybe something's out of adjustment.

I'd give him a call and politely mention that you had this issue. Ask if there is anything you are missing regarding operating the motor. Even if you are an experienced owner, giving him the dignity of responding without a threat over his head will likely net you more than nastiness will.

Best case, the two of you get together and go for a ride. Figure out what has to be done and figure out who can and will do them. Worst case....well you only paid $300 for the thing

i believe the prop has a bushing or whatever cuz he was also saying something about that. I've heard that when the clutch dog goes out, that it pops out of gear, shift lever goes up to neutral, and you have to hold the shifter in forward for it to stay engaged. This isnt the case for me. The shift lever stays in forward the entire time this is happening. Would that be better if it was the prop giving me problems?? I've tried to get a hold of him, but he dont want to get back.

Try another prop.-----------Or mark the hub and outer part of the prop, take it for a spin.------If marks move you have a spun prop.

when shifting this motor do so with a brisk decisive move....dont ease it into gear....i owned one of these motors years ago......what i dont remember is if that clutch dog is reversible...

Thanks for all the helpful info and i'll try some of them things this weekend. BUT I do have 1 more thing brought to my attention from a guy at work tonight. CAVITATION. Thats what he thought it was. So my plan of attack will be, mark the prop to check 4 slipped hub, then should i adjust the pitch of the motor?? would some weeds cause cavitation? The prop blades look good with very minor dings. if all else fails, i guess i can tare into the gears quick to check em out. What are you thinking???? Man i wish i lived closer to my boat! I'd be working on it now! Thanks again:confused:

Back